Building a fireplace (ventless) question...

/ Building a fireplace (ventless) question... #11  
For some reason I'd rather not have a ventless propane fireplace. Gotta be some health issues.

/ Building a fireplace (ventless) question... #12  
I now realize what you were trying to say.

First - You would need to build a chimney and fireplace.

Second - You would then have the option of burning wood or using a gas insert w/fake logs.

Third - ventless as stated above would still require some type of ventilation.

Fourth - propane/natural gas would require open window or damper in fireplace slightly open. moisture and/or co will be a by-product of gas fire.

/ Building a fireplace (ventless) question... #13  
Read this and then decide ,, Your unit has a built in co2 detector and designed in such a way to work as the air flows in your steel enclosure.. Any modifications hmm,,, and it will be more unsafe than it already is,, A Ventless Gas Fireplace Doesn

/ Building a fireplace (ventless) question... #14  
You can put a gas log set (minus the metal enclosure) into an existing wood burning fireplace. So yes, I believe you could have a standard wood-burning fireplace built and convert it to gas logs. That wood-burning fireplace would have a chimney and I don't know why you wouldn't want to use it. It is an extra expense to build a chimney--see below. Another gas fire chimney option is a double wall flexible tube that runs inside the chimney from the top to the fireplace.

What is shown in your picture is a gas unit designed to be built into standard framing (with clearances and fire resistant sheathing covering the framing). The unit I would chose for that type of build would have a through-the-wall double pipe (combined in one wall hole) vent and air intake. There are a million and one fireplace surrounds you can chose from to dress it up and provide a mantle should you desire one. There are codes to follow regarding the proximity of the vent to windows and doors.

A gas log set inside a double wall metal enclosure--which works as a hot air plenum--provides much more heat when a circulating fan is used. This is pretty much a standard approach for homes that want a bit of flame ambiance, space heat for a room area, and don't mind burning plenty of LP or NG. They are typically vented through an exterior wall which also provides the combustion air from outside.

/ Building a fireplace (ventless) question... #15  
I have put gas logs into a "wood burning fireplace" and just closed the damper. Now have inserts in the fireplaces and burn wood. The ventless propane logs tended to leave gray "soot" in curtains and windows and the wife could not live with the odor from the gas logs. Have the same issues with the gas kitchen stove, but that is more occasional use and we can deal with it. And it is not that our house is not well ventilated, 130 year old farm house, you can see the curtains move when it is windy. We will never have unvented gas again.

/ Building a fireplace (ventless) question... #16  
Working in house construction I have begun to see them more and more in new homes (very expensive homes). The look of true masonry fireplace with only gas logs, at a lower cost.
Sorry I don't know how to add a link to a web site but I believe this is what your talking about. Masonry Fireplace Kits | Prefabricated Fireplace: Mason-Lite
And as others have stressed make sure you have a co2 detector in the room.

/ Building a fireplace (ventless) question... #17  
I installed ventless propane log set in my masonry (wood burning) fireplace 15 years ago, and still working fine. I formed a piece of sheet metal to fit in top of the fireplace to block off the flue so wasn't heating up the chimney, used this a primary source of heat for 12 years until I installed a heat pump with propane backup on it.

/ Building a fireplace (ventless) question... #18  
Ventless sucks. Don't do it. It dumps a ton of moisture into the home and smells awful. You just don't know it smells because you get used to it. That said, I would not modify any ventless unit whatsoever. It isn't worth risking death.

/ Building a fireplace (ventless) question... #19  
   / Building a fireplace (ventless) question... #20  
So, to reword it.... take the propane fire logs out of the metal firebox and replace them back into a brick/mortar built in fireplace?

In my opinion it would be a wash except it is a lot less expensive to bypass the metal box and just buy some ceramic gas logs for the brick and mortar fire place. (but you already know that.) Like others have said using the word ventless is not appropriate as the fire burns it needs lots of air (24 times the amount of propane burned) so a window will have to stay open when burning. You will be relieving the (repositioned) gas log company of all liability when you move them and you will be assuming all responsibility - notify your insurance company to see how this will affect you coverage and premiums. You don't want to find out afterwards, when making a claim, that the modifications nullified your policy.

You will also get all of the by-products of the propane burned gas dumping into the room (the thought of this might mess up the "Ambiance" that your wife is seeking) which is carbon-dioxide and water vapor - so you might need a dehumidifier and the air will get stuffy. If the burn is not perfectly adjusted periodically you will get the by-product carbon monoxide which creeps un-noticed slowly and is deadly - another Ambiance killer - literally.

I had gas logs but they were vented in a regular fireplace and a window was opened. Very clean, inexpensive "Ambiance". However with the draw from the open window it could not be considered a heat source, but breathing was easy.

I now have a vented in and vented out wood stove (installed to specs and insurance co. inspected) in a well insulated house which can take over the central heating 100%.

Products of Complete and Incomplete Combustion

What I don't understand is that by code all gas water heaters MUST be vented - even in the attic - but a ventless fireplace in the house is OK??????

Last edited: