shower base removal

/ shower base removal #1  

SIMassey

Silver Member
Tractor
MF
I have a concrete poured in place shower base on the second floor of my home. Finished drywall ceiling below which is above the island in the kitchen. The drain and p-trap, I believe was poured around as well.

The ceramic tiled walls developed leaks after 25 years of use and need to be replaced. I cannot reuse the base for fear of future leakage. I need to remove it with minimal force as to not damage the ceiling below.

The base is 35 by 40 and three inches thick. I haven't calculated the weight yet. Since I cannot get to the drain pipe from the under side to free it from the base, my latest idea is to get a small sawblade, like from a dremel and reach down the drain below the concrete and cut the pipe free.

I have been able to lift the front edge slightly with a pry bar, so I don't think it is fastened down. My thought is to get some help, stand it on edge and use a four wheeled furniture cart to get it through 2 doorways to the stairs. Load it on a refrigerator cart, strap it down and ease it down the stairway. The stairway was built wide enough since we have a second floor laundry area.

Anybody have any experience with something like this or any other ideas short of dynamite?

Thanks in advance
SIMassey

/ shower base removal #2  
You have showers in heaven? :rolleyes:

Why do you want to do it in one piece, other than it's cleaner?

I'd go at it with a 3lb hammer and go up from there.

/ shower base removal #3  
Done that before. It's actually easy. Rent a small or mid sized rotary hammer from Home Depot for a few bucks and it will break it up easily with no effect on the ceiling below. Then shovel it up and carry debris in a heavy duty trash can. Do the walls too. Forget the sledge. That's too much work and would probably be more disruptive. I did my upstairs bath, shower pan and tiled walls laid on a mud base. You may find the base is not actually concrete but "mud" underlayment. It looks like concrete but is less dense. That's what is more commonly used. But regardless, use a rotary hammer with a chisel tip. It will break it up quickly and easily.

Then make a new pan with modern liners. That's another story.

/ shower base removal #4  
Shower bases are usually made of a sand mix which will break up easily. It should be much easier to break it up in place than to move it in one piece. Based on your dimensions I'd say it weighs about 250 pounds, it will be much easier to get it out as five 50 pound loads. I would get some contractor bags and a five gallon bucket, line the bucket with the bags, break up pieces until they fit in the bucket. When the bucket is full tie off the bag so you don't spread dust through the house and carry it out to your vehicle. Repeat until done.

I've had good results with the Harbor Freight SDS rotary hammer, it's about $75 and the chisel set is about $15. It will break that up with a minimum of disturbance and effort.

If you need to control dust, have a helper point a shop-vac at the point of impact while you break it up. If your shop-vac doesn't have an excellent filter put a hose on the exhaust and feed it out a window.

If it was done properly there will be a liner in there, most likely PVC sheeting but possibly copper or lead. It will make the breakup easier because the sand mix doesn't stick to it. Once you expose an edge it will go pretty quickly.

/ shower base removal #5  
I just bought an electric jack hammer from Amazon and used it to break up an old chimney foundation. Very effective. That was outside use. Really careful, would work inside with a chisel bit.
Inside a 3lb hammer if the base is free floating, would probably work very well, or just pick it up and move it. Is the drain attached? Chip that free first.

Amazon.com: XtremepowerUS 2200Watt Heavy Duty Electric Demolition Jack Hammer Concrete Breaker Punch Construction: Home Improvement

View attachment 400096

Last edited:
   / shower base removal
Thanks for the quick responses. I would rather bust it up like you guys suggest but was fearing damaging the ceiling below. As all have stated, it looks like a dry mix, so I'm going to give the rotary hammer a try. Easier moving in little pieces as stated. Maybe Thanksgiving weekend will not be a big a job as thought. Probably stay out of Home Depot on Friday though. LOL

Thanks again
SIMassey

/ shower base removal #7  
Thanks for the quick responses. I would rather bust it up like you guys suggest but was fearing damaging the ceiling below. As all have stated, it looks like a dry mix, so I'm going to give the rotary hammer a try. Easier moving in little pieces as stated. Maybe Thanksgiving weekend will not be a big a job as thought. Probably stay out of Home Depot on Friday though. LOL Thanks again SIMassey

Ask the Home Depot guys. Get a mid sized one. You want the weight But you don't need their big boy. But a little big is better than a little small. Think you will be surprised about how easy it will break up. Also wear a dust mask and eye protection. Tile can be sharp. Post some pictures. We love to see others work!

/ shower base removal #8  
If you have an air compressor, a cheap pistol grip air chisel will do it too.

/ shower base removal #9  
It's called a "mud set" shower. They are among the best shower bases for tile. Nobody does them any more due to the labor cost. Unfortunately, at the time there were no really good shower pans so leaks are common. A small hand held breaker (not a jack hammer) will bust up the concrete base easily. You won't damage the ceiling below.

/ shower base removal #10  
let the machine do the work. do not force it with your own weight / muscles. it may take a little longer, but better results / less damage.