Advice on Ground DEER Blinds.....

/ Advice on Ground DEER Blinds..... #1  

Boeing

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota L3010
I know there are hundreds of deer hunters out there who might offer some suggestions on this. I have hunted many times in a tree stand and IF....I can sit still I might get a deer. (I tend to get the wiggles when I get cold) Anyway, I planted a nice food plot at the junction of my property and the next guy's. The woods around are fairly open and if would be impossible to get to and from undetected. I bought one of those camo "pop up" boxy blinds to go into the brush beside the plot. Not real noticeable (to a human) and sets up easily. It is SO light that it blows over easily so you need to tie it or stake it. THAT makes it much less portable. SOOOO....here are the questions...It is made of a light vinyl fabric and I don't think it would survive long in the open elements. Also, there are bears that occasionally tear things up around my land.....(drain pipes off gutters, Plastic propane bottle covers) AND irate deer have even torn trail cameras off trees. IF I leave this blind in place is it likely to be torn up by critters or elements? OR, If I put it up, take it down, put it up, take it down would it not ADVERTISE when I am in the area and keep the game away? This is a dilemma......but it IS warmer than a tree stand and I can wiggle:) What is the BEST way to use this pop up blind?
Thanks

/ Advice on Ground DEER Blinds..... #2  
This is what we do in Texas. It's going to be insulated with paneling on the inside walls and high shelves. I've already installed the propane heater, the mornings can be kind of chilly. I would thing this would be bear proof and after 2 or 3 weeks, the deer won't even notice it anymore. It took my buddy and me about 3 hours to build this and only cost about $300 in materials. We did have a generator and a gas powered air compressor to run power tools and nail guns though, that probably cut our build time in half of using screws or a hammer.

The blind is 4' x 6' with the floor 8' off the ground. The 4x4 posts were set 3' deep in concrete and we ended up cross bracing them as well. It's rock solid and should last a LONG time.

The last photo is the view from the blind.

Attachments

• IMG_20140920_101257467.jpg
    IMG_20140920_101257467.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 229
  • IMG_20140920_114940379.jpg
    IMG_20140920_114940379.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 231
  • IMG_20140920_120531864.jpg
    IMG_20140920_120531864.jpg
    873.6 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_20140920_122819948.jpg
    IMG_20140920_122819948.jpg
    975.9 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_20140920_153412118_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140920_153412118_HDR.jpg
    902.1 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_20140920_104521739_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140920_104521739_HDR.jpg
    1,002.5 KB · Views: 246
   / Advice on Ground DEER Blinds..... #3  
I've used a portable blind(various ones )for 30 years. I set up one or two days before opening day. My brother puts food down in my area starting 3-weeks in front of season. He's 50 miles and I'm 550 miles away. (private land) The deer will look at the blind but I stay dark inside and about 90 yds away. Other hunters on the property have hard wall blinds (permanent) and can make a little more noise inside. Scent seems to be my biggest issue. Stay warm so your quiet and comfortable , and low scent emission ( minimize heat). Has worked for me. Just got back from 6 degree mornings with no extra heat. ( I used a down sleeping bag and lots of clothes) , Does came in but no bucks during the day.( 3 feet of snow too!! ) of course the deep snow overroad some of the deer's caution. But the bucks came in at night( trail cams). Thinking of trying Texas deer hunting!!

/ Advice on Ground DEER Blinds..... #4  
This is what we do in Texas. It's going to be insulated with paneling on the inside walls and high shelves. I've already installed the propane heater, the mornings can be kind of chilly. I would thing this would be bear proof and after 2 or 3 weeks, the deer won't even notice it anymore. It took my buddy and me about 3 hours to build this and only cost about $300 in materials. We did have a generator and a gas powered air compressor to run power tools and nail guns though, that probably cut our build time in half of using screws or a hammer.

The blind is 4' x 6' with the floor 8' off the ground. The 4x4 posts were set 3' deep in concrete and we ended up cross bracing them as well. It's rock solid and should last a LONG time.

The last photo is the view from the blind.

Nice raised blind! Been thinking of building something very similar!

/ Advice on Ground DEER Blinds..... #5  
image-2298145080.jpg

Love mine as well. Nice staying dry when the weather gets bad. Extends my huntin season.

/ Advice on Ground DEER Blinds.....
Michigan Rob,
Do you LEAVE your pop up "set up" the entire season? I usually do BOW, which is about 2 MONTHS. I was concerned about bears tearing it up but I guess that is a risk to be run....
My friend uses one on a HUGE field but he sets it up THAT morning and puts a doe decoy about 50 yds in front. The deer focus on the decoy and seem to ignore the blind. He takes it down EVERY day..... He also has a UTV and an open field to take this stuff out and in........
BTW........anyone use these for TURKEYS in the spring?

/ Advice on Ground DEER Blinds..... #7  
A neighbor built a platform three steps off the ground it looks to be about 8x8, never measured it. He places a camouflage tent on it and leave it up if he is going to hunt multiplie days but takes it down when he is not. It doesn't seem to bother the deer, he kills several every year.

/ Advice on Ground DEER Blinds..... #8  
Boeing,
I leave mine up for the week or so that I hunt ( gun only). This year the top half caved in from the snow over night. My current blind is called "Bone Collector" and the five sides "pop/ spring" open. While it is reasonably easy to setup and take down, that would be too much every night and to noisy in the morning. Then there is the chair and "wool insulation". If you need to tie yours up, I'd suggest a tree branch/mini log super structure that you leave up (TePee shape or functionally equivalent for your blind) and leave your blind up overnight if you're coming back and take down and store under tarp (local storage) for longer away periods. Any food / or smells-like-food and the bears will find it and rip their way in. Another idea, years ago, I transplanted little pine trees into a circle to surround my blind site with the intent to trim shooting lanes and have permanent camo. Trees look great now but I've moved to another site further from my brother. I'd suggest a permanent rail in some form for a rigid gun rest. I could fill a small book on all the blinds I've tried over the years. Important things, quiet floor under feet, wool over noisy fabric, openings that don't drip inside from the rain. Walls that don't flap from the wind. Just a few.

/ Advice on Ground DEER Blinds..... #9  
Mine is permanent, 6' x 6', made mostly of used lumber: FARM 2007 004.jpg
Wildlife 008.JPG
It sets on high ground, overlooking some open area & trails: Wildlife 003.JPG Wildlife 004.JPG HPIM0758-a.jpg

This guy came within 40' of me: HPIM0754.JPG

I use one of the "Buddy Heaters" DSCN0038 - Copy.JPG in in cold weather, makes a good place to get out of the weather when I'm working at the farm!

/ Advice on Ground DEER Blinds..... #10  
Another idea- We use a popup to hunt different setups. Wind, trail deer are using, neighbors corn pile (LOL), etc. Can also use in orchard when fruit comes in early in season and as long as deer using area.
Have a 'temporary' (not attached to ground) blind 8' platform box on big greenfield overlooking 25 acre cut soybeans and woodline.
The 'Condo'(my son named it 10 years ago!:dance1:)
20141102_165140.jpg 20141102_125952.jpg 20141102_142637.jpg

Drilled wheat in the beanfield and Condo across ditch from same spot- AMBUSH!!!!

10-31-114 (2).jpg 20141102_164835.jpg

My experience with popups is they are great for a quick set, hunting several days in same spot, misting rain and old farts who can't climb ladders.
If you leave it out all season it may not survive, JMHO :confused3: