Old Oliver manure spreader restore

/ Old Oliver manure spreader restore #1  

TnAndy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar LX410...IHI 35J excavator Woodmizer LT40
Bought this old (mid 50's) Oliver manure spreader for 300 bucks off local Craig's List ad about a year ago, and finally got it in the shop this fall for a restore. Forgot to take pic of the start, but it was a rust bucket. Original sheet metal floor was gone, had been patched with a couple layers of sheet metal over the years. The main cross supports were 'channel' sorta.....Oliver bent sheet metal to form chickenpoop 'channel'...it was rusted out of course....because it wasn't much to start with.

The main wheel/drag chain roller bearings had seized and wallowed out the metal they were mounted in....which I thought was 1/4" plate, but upon closer examination, turned out to be two pieces of 1/8" plate that had been welded on the edges to form 1/4".....you'd think the labor to weld it would have cost more than just buying 1/4" to start with ? I sandwiched two 12" square 1/4" plates back over that area, then drilled and remounted new bearings.

Basically, it was in sad shape !

So, after adding a LOT more metal to the frame, new flange bearings to the main shaft, and one of the 'flipper' shafts, a new floor out of 1" white oak, on REAL channel cross supports, I spent about $800 (including having the whole thing sandblasted), and maybe 75hrs, and this was the result:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

(handles that pull the control rods down the side aren't mounted in this pic.....paint still wet)

ry%3D400

/ Old Oliver manure spreader restore #2  
Wow! Looks great. Nice work.

Terry

/ Old Oliver manure spreader restore #3  
Impressive! Looks like a labor of love. :thumbsup:

/ Old Oliver manure spreader restore #4  
I have an old New Idea ground driven spreader that still looks and works fine, but I would not put a couple thousand pounds of manure in it anymore even though the bed is stll solid oak and in good order. Nice job.

mark

/ Old Oliver manure spreader restore #5  
Very cool. When I clicked on this thread I was wondering where you found a solid spreader to rebuild. Obviously you didn't but overcame the obstacles. Very cool. I have an old New Idea spreader setting in the fencerow that someone needs to restore. I'll never use it so am not motivated. Good job on the restore. Thanks for posting the pics.

/ Old Oliver manure spreader restore
Thanks fellows.....glad you enjoyed the finished results.

/ Old Oliver manure spreader restore #9  
Wow. Fantastic restoration. That would look fantastic behind my oliver Super55 it even has the white wheels to match. I have an old New Idea spreader that I need to restore but as for now it just sits in the weeds and slings chicken poo when needed.

/ Old Oliver manure spreader restore #10  
Very nice Andy! It would be a shame to get poop on it now. :laughing: