First Scoop!

/ First Scoop! #1  

GFarmer13

Tractor
LS XR4040
This is the start of the berm that I am building on my property for my personal range. I will need a few more loads to get it tall enough but that will happen soon enough.
When completed I will be able to shoot 200 yards. I know that isn't that great of a distance but it will be fun for me and a few friends.

20141214_153056.jpg

/ First Scoop! #3  
That's something on my "list" also. Do you have idea how many yards of dirt it will require? Are you using "fill dirt"? Curious to how "thick" it will be when you are finished to ensure full stoppage of the projectiles. My better half thinks I'm crazy, but that's nothing new. :D

/ First Scoop! #4  
Sounds like good time all the way around. :)

/ First Scoop!
I am using red clay gravel, the county will drop it off every so often. I'm not sure how much it will take at this time. That was one load in the picture and I have never seen the truck that they haul it in. I hope to build it up about six feet, the land is already sloped and I am shooting into the dirt already. I just want a little extra insurance.

20141214_163259.jpg

20141214_163339.jpg

/ First Scoop! #6  
Belated welcome to TBN. Nice tractor.

Remember what you call "sloped" a lot of us would call flatland.

For non-Mississippe readers -
I'm in NE Ms near Belmont, about 30 miles south of Woodall Mountain, the highest point in Mississippi, all 806 feet above sea level.

/ First Scoop! #7  
In my area, we'd probably just shoot into the side of a hill.

Belated welcome to TBN. Nice tractor.

Remember what you call "sloped" a lot of us would call flatland.

For non-Mississippe readers -
I'm in NE Ms near Belmont, about 30 miles south of Woodall Mountain, the highest point in Mississippi, all 806 feet above sea level.

/ First Scoop! #8  
I asked the proper height for a Dirt berm on several rifle/pistol shooting web sites and was shocked at the answer. I am just good enough to shoot at 2 inch targets with my rifles at 200 yards and was quoted that a safe height was a whopping 25 feet tall. I thought they were kidding until I asked on 3 other sites.

/ First Scoop! #9  
I asked the proper height for a Dirt berm on several rifle/pistol shooting web sites and was shocked at the answer. I am just good enough to shoot at 2 inch targets with my rifles at 200 yards and was quoted that a safe height was a whopping 25 feet tall. I thought they were kidding until I asked on 3 other sites.

Maybe for public or private shooting clubs where liability insurance probably requires it.

On your own land; moot point.

Sent from my iPhone 5s 64Gb using TractorByNet

/ First Scoop! #10  
Good to see people building backstops, too many people just depend on trees or isolation for safety in my area. We are lucky to have plenty of natural backstops on some our places, but built one on one of our farms where my sons wanted to do some long range shooting.