"Great Stuff" expanding foam ????

/ "Great Stuff" expanding foam ???? #1  

kebo

Elite Member
Tractor
2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires
Does anyone know if you can get the "Great Stuff" expanding foam in different colors? The usual color is like a beige or off-white, but I would like to get some in a dark brown, or maybe a black if they offer it. Anybody know??

/ "Great Stuff" expanding foam ???? #2  
They make a "Pond and Stone" waterproof version that is black. Not sure on the price though.

Aaron Z

/ "Great Stuff" expanding foam ???? #3  
I've used just about every expanding foam on the market up here. Blue, pink, white, various shades of beige/yellow/orange, possibly even a green one. Never seen brown, black or grey. As far as I know, they are all supposed to be covered for both UV and fire ratings so what difference does the colour make?

Personally, the 'Great Stuff' brand is one of the worst on the market

/ "Great Stuff" expanding foam ???? #5  
...Personally, the 'Great Stuff' brand is one of the worst on the market
What brand is better for larger gaps??? (only heard of "Great Stuff")

/ "Great Stuff" expanding foam ???? #6  
On a side note...I was recently researching using expanding foam for a unique application and was checking the temperatures for curing...I found a post by a user that had used foam on a basement wall around a new window installation...the user applied the foam and installed the window in 30 degree weather and all seemed fine...for the winter that is...
...When spring and warmer weather arrived the uncured foam that was in the wall started to expand to the point that it blew out the wall and broke the window glass and frame...!

/ "Great Stuff" expanding foam ???? #7  
Great Stuff comes in two flavors. Expanding for gaps and cracks and minimal expanding for windows and doors.
Frequently the mind set is if a little foam is good, more is better. Wrong. You can compress the jambs on windows and doors making them totally inoperaopal.

/ "Great Stuff" expanding foam ???? #8  
Does anyone know if you can get the "Great Stuff" expanding foam in different colors? The usual color is like a beige or off-white, but I would like to get some in a dark brown, or maybe a black if they offer it. Anybody know??

Why? I've found that once it hardens, you can cut it and paint it any color you want. I usually run some caulking over it to smooth it out if it's going to remain visible.

This is with the closed cell version. The open cell version for using around doors and windows. It doesn't have any strength and pretty much falls apart to the touch.

Eddie

/ "Great Stuff" expanding foam ???? #9  
   / "Great Stuff" expanding foam ???? #10  
What brand is better for larger gaps??? (only heard of "Great Stuff")

There's a few dozen different brands that I have crossed and likely just as many that I haven't.

This is my personal favorite at the moment:

ForumRunner_20150101_175752.png

About 3x the yield and don't have to clean the gun 1/10th as often. Another huge plus, the surface sets very quickly that if you happen to touch it before fully cured, you aren't covered in the sticky mess.

We used about 300 cans this summer of various brands. This was hands down our favorite. If the gap was anything above 1.5" or so, I'd run a double pass with about 15 min between.