Retaining wall ideas Needed - steep slope with only top access

/ Retaining wall ideas Needed - steep slope with only top access #1  

tractchores

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota b2920
I've got a project coming up and am trying to figure out how to get it accompished. I have a flat area that drops off steeply (45 degree plus slope) for probably 10 vertical feet then levels out a bit (25 degree slope) and ends in a lake. My challenge is I'd like to secure the top so it is flat and a fence can be installed. The kicker is that I cannot really access the bottom of the hill and am space constrained due to wetlands restrictions. The likely move is to cut into the hillside, go across it then build up the wall and anchor it in. The issue is that to do this I'll probably end up in the wetlands and will have a major project. Subcontractor estimates have been around $20k (the wall is 75' long). Top of the hill is a pool and pool deck, so cutting back from the top then rebuilding isn't really feasible with the size machine I can get in there.

My questions:
- Anyone have creative ideas on how to put some kind of retaining wall without doing a big cut into the hillside?
- Anyone ever anchor a retaining wall using pillars? I was thinking I could dig down or use an auger and put sonotubes and concrete down and then anchor the wall to that.
- Anyone ever do one of those walls that involves just placing large flat rocks on the slope and embedding them (looks like tiles). I can't find any info on that technique.

Equipment i have easily available:
Kubota B2920 with backhoe and FEL
I can rent all kinds of attachments locally including an auger
Can rent an excavator, but am very size constrained due to the pool

Any ideas are welcome! Thanks

/ Retaining wall ideas Needed - steep slope with only top access #2  
What about a steel seawall? The panels are interlocking and are pounded in by a post type pounder. I'm far from an expert, I've just seen them. My brother has one about 120' long at his lake property. It was there when he bought the place so I have no idea about price.

/ Retaining wall ideas Needed - steep slope with only top access #3  
What about a steel seawall? The panels are interlocking and are pounded in by a post type pounder. I'm far from an expert, I've just seen them. My brother has one about 120' long at his lake property. It was there when he bought the place so I have no idea about price.
I like that idea... I have a similar problem with access on my steep slope. Interested to see some solutions here.

/ Retaining wall ideas Needed - steep slope with only top access #4  
I get the feeling this won't work but my neighbor added a good 5000 sq ft to his very hilly property. Took a big track hoe but he put these down like legos. The blocks themselves are very cheap, made by your local concretes supplier usually out of leftovers in concrete trucks. Cost is the delivery and the track hoe.

Pre-Cast Concrete Products (Second Row, large concrete blocks)

/ Retaining wall ideas Needed - steep slope with only top access #5  
What kind of material and wetness is the hill.

/ Retaining wall ideas Needed - steep slope with only top access #6  
Look at Gabions - essentially wire cages filled with rock. They come in many sizes, such as 4'×4'×8', and are designed to be stacked. Macaferri is one manufacturer that happens to be located near me.

/ Retaining wall ideas Needed - steep slope with only top access #7  
I gave a similar problem, with a creek (that I can drive into with my Kuboat BX25) at the bottom of the slope. Was thinking of pouring a sloping cocncrete wall, and maybe embedding some decorative stone in the concrete while it is stiffening up. But will the wall stay where it is, or will the (sandy) soil underneath eventually push the wall upright over time, whereupon it will topple over into the creek?

/ Retaining wall ideas Needed - steep slope with only top access #8  
I have built countless retaining walls as a contractor. Everything from treated wood to gabiens to Redi-Rock to poured concrete to stone to boulders.

Your budget, desired longevity and desired look will determine what type of wall to install. I highly recommend Redi-Rock which is similar to the product recommended in a post above. They work due to their mass and thus use gravity. They should never be made from left over concrete especially when they will be exposed to freeze/thaw cycles and should be air entrained.

I have used Hubble earth anchors (used on power poles) to straighten and anchor old walls.

More detailed info and we can likely help point you in the right direction.

Danny

/ Retaining wall ideas Needed - steep slope with only top access #10  
Look at Gabions - essentially wire cages filled with rock. They come in many sizes, such as 4'×4'×8', and are designed to be stacked. Macaferri is one manufacturer that happens to be located near me.

+1 they could be filled and lowered from the top one at a time.