buying a drill press chuck?

/ buying a drill press chuck? #1  

Ed of all trades

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere X310, JD LA 145
I have decided to fix the old Cummins press I got with some other equipment I got a few years ago. It has a lot of wobble in the chuck but the shaft is pretty good. The bottom of the chuck is .005 out but the shaft is only .0005 out.
Where is a good place to buy a new chuck? Looked online at Grizzly but they only had keyless chucks that seems gold that I can afford. I need a 5/8 chuck with a JT 3 for about 50$ to 75$. I wonder if a keyless chuck would do with a 1" bit in mild steel? Any ideas will be appreciated.

/ buying a drill press chuck? #2  
Try a Fastnal store

/ buying a drill press chuck? #3  
I would not go keyless on a drill press. There are some good tool stores around that sell quality machining tools. Usually some hole in the wall place.

A common good brand of chuck is a Jacobs. Far better than the Harbor Freight type stuff.

/ buying a drill press chuck? #4  
McMaster Carr would have them but not sure what the price is. Agree Jacobs is usually very good quality.

/ buying a drill press chuck? #5  
If you do decide you want keyless, I would look for a used albrecht. I've never had one slip, as long as the bit shank is in good shape.

/ buying a drill press chuck? #7  
The Jacobs website (jacobschuck.com) gives their range, specs, and list prices (high). I've bought a couple Jacobs chucks in the last couple years and my experience was that McMaster-Carr has as good a price as anyone on both Jacobs and generic chucks. I think there are a lot of differences among keyless chucks. I have a good Jacobs keyless 1/2" chuck, as long as it doesn't get oily it does a good job. It is handy when you are changing bits frequently, but not all that much faster than a keyed chuck at least for me.

/ buying a drill press chuck? #8  
I have to wonder why some people feel a keyless wouldn't be suitable. I use a keyless chuck on my BP clone mill with no problem and have drilled holes 1 5/16 in diameter with it through the flanges of an 8 inch I-beam.

I just bought a friend a keyless CKS-16-J6 Llambrich chuck for Christmas this year...it's rated for medium duty industrial usage.

/ buying a drill press chuck? #9  
Enco has an import chuck that fits your description: Enco - Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Machinery, Tools and Shop Supplies
It might be a good idea to spend another $7 on a new arbor: Enco - Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Machinery, Measuring Tools, Cutting Tools and Shop Supplies

Travers is another option: Key Type | Chucks - Drill | Machine Tool Accessories - Travers Tool

If you get away from ball bearing models you can get by very cheaply. Enco - Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Machinery, Tools and Shop Supplies You'll need to get the arbor with it since it's not JT3.

Lastly, when all else fails check Amazon. South Bend Lathe SB1372 5/8-Inch by JT3 Drill Chuck - Power Drill Chucks - Amazon.com

/ buying a drill press chuck? #10  
You might be able to find a rebuild kit for the chuck you have. Ebay is another option and used to be a good place to find used chucks. I haven't looked in a while.