Impact screw drivers?

/ Impact screw drivers? #1  

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
I've heard/read many times someone saying they would never go back to a drill for driving screws after using an electric/battery impact screwdriver.

The one I tried in a store demo was one speed and very fast. Based on that alone, I wouldn't switch.

What do you users have to say about it? Why do you like it? How is it better than a variable speed drill for screw driving?

Bruce

/ Impact screw drivers? #2  
I'm very interested in any responses here also. I've driven thousands & thousands of screws with a variable speed drill. If the going is tough - super long screw or very hard wood or both - my second battery powered drill is loaded with a drill bit to pre start a hole.

/ Impact screw drivers? #3  
I use an 18v Makita that is 4 yrs. old now. Have driven 3/8" lag bolts with it and thousands of screws. Bored 1 1/4" holes in joist for wiring.
The variable speed is great. Batteries last a very long time. No issues with it. Don't use a drill very often.

/ Impact screw drivers? #4  
I have an impact driver and a couple of variable 2 speed drills (all Ryobi battery powered). Which one I use depends on what I'm doing.
The impact driver is certainly faster and will handle larger stuff, but is a bit more difficult to control in in light applications like wood. It has enough power to break a deck screw (or the bit).
When I need more precision, I use one of the drills on low speed and set the clutch breakaway for what I'm doing.
I also have a small battery screwdriver with a clutch that I use for really light duty stuff (cheap Chinese made Craftsman).

/ Impact screw drivers? #5  
I have about a 3-4yr old 18v Milwaukee impact driver. It has a variable speed trigger and I love the thing. I would never go back to a normal screw gun again. It's so nice not having to put your whole body weight into the gun to keep it from stripping out the screw head.
The only thing I use my reg screw guns for now is drill holes.

My neighbor doesn't seem to like his impact driver very much, says it breaks bits and screws too much. But I blame that on the fact that his is a brand new 24v dewalt and probably has too much power for the work he's doing.

/ Impact screw drivers? #6  
Impacts typically have the ability to generate more torque than a drill. (sink bigger screws or lags).

They can do this without breaking your wrist or yanking the drill out of your hand like a conventional drill. So thats a +1

They are typically a LOT easier on batteries than a drill. So you can sink more screws per charge +1

They are alot less likely to strip out the heads. Especially phillips screws due to the impacting +1

Impact drivers are usually lighter. +1

All in all a impact driver is made for sinking screws. A drill is made for drilling. I have a few M18 Fuel milwaukee's. Those impacts are 3-speed.

/ Impact screw drivers? #7  
I have the Fuels impact as well. My wife has a white milwaulkee one speed (Smaller, lighter, easier for her to use). Hers tends to break more screws than mine but I seldom run on the highest speed, Only when I am driving 6" deck screws and that sort of stuff.

/ Impact screw drivers? #8  
I have 3 different ones all Milwaukee. My opinion the 12v 2462 to me has been the most useful. It can drive 3" screws in framing lumber all day but you have so much control with it you can even do sheetrock screws with ease. Some people claim its too slow but I like it. Guess it depends on what your doing Assembling 2x4 frames and plywood tops edged with 1 x6's I built all the display tables for the new store with it.

I also have the 18v 2657 2 speed. Low or position #1 on that is the better of two speeds for control. It is just a slightly slower than the 12v has but more torque. High #2 sinks screws so fast you can easily split a board without even trying if you sink the head too far. But its probably what you want for basic deck building. Most manufactures basic 18V impact drivers are all single speed.

Then there is the 12v 2453 Fuel model. It has 2 speeds and the low #1 only makes 14 ft lbs max. Its what works best in a garage environment without stripping out screws and small bolts. The 18v Fuel has 3 speeds and the impact drivers have slightly different torque numbers than the square anvil drive impact wrenches they also offer.

Milwaukee (and some other brands) have Hex screwdrivers too. 2402 is the Fuel and there is also brushed version. They seem to be compromise between drill and impact you have clutch but the 1/4 bit locks in the collet. they are slightly smaller than the drill chuck models from Milwaukee but its exactly the same body. And they are quieter no impact sound some people prefer that depending on their work environment. Honestly I don't think I ever be driving screws ever again with a drill/driver.

/ Impact screw drivers? #9  
Can someone please explain why the impact drivers strip out fewer screw heads. I've read this before but can't figure out the reason.

/ Impact screw drivers? #10  
I use an 18v Makita that is 4 yrs. old now. Have driven 3/8" lag bolts with it and thousands of screws. Bored 1 1/4" holes in joist for wiring.
The variable speed is great. Batteries last a very long time. No issues with it. Don't use a drill very often.

i also have the makita set with many tools including the small impact as well as a 1/2 inch drill, and the drill rarely gets used.
for screws, and even nuts and bolts with sockets, i find the small impact easy to use, light, and great. it is nice if
i have to drill holes with the drill then use the driver for the screws or bolts though.
my kit also contains the recip saw, circlar saw, flashlight, heavy 1/2" impact gun, and angle grinder.