How to adapt 2 volt clay pigeon thrower to 110 electric

/ How to adapt 2 volt clay pigeon thrower to 110 electric #1  

Michelle K linnane

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4103
I have a trap thrower and would like to plug it into an outlet as I can shoot right outside my barn I have plenty of outdoor plugs.
Making sure the deep cycle battery is charged is a pain for me. Is there any way to adapt this to a regular 110 house outlet?

I have a white wing which I am not crazy about it stopped working and the company sent me another not problem the second
one stopped working have way thru the first box of clays. I am thinking of replacing it with Champion Easybird Auto feed double trap
you can get it on amazon for $609.96 free shipping for prime member.

But my main question is there a way to convert from battery to a house outlet 110?

/ How to adapt 2 volt clay pigeon thrower to 110 electric #2  
You will need to find a transformer to step down the voltage to 2v then power the thrower.
Use a 2v battery charger sitting next to the thrower powered by an extension cord. Will keep the battery charged as well.
Other option is the rewire the thrower with 110v components.

Option two is cheaper and easier.

/ How to adapt 2 volt clay pigeon thrower to 110 electric #3  
Sure. You need a power supply.. Your title says 2 volt.. I am kinda doubting that.. did you mean to say 12 volts? All you need is a power supply with enough current capacity to replace the battery. 12 volt high current power supplies are common and easy to procure, especially from Amateur radio suppliers. Do you have the current requirements?.. I notice that the Champion Easybird has a 30 amp breaker and from that I would infer that when throwing a bird the current requirements might spike up to near that value.. Just guessing here, perhaps a call to the manufacture to get the current requirements would be a great idea.

Astron makes some nice power supplies that might work for you. Here is an example.

Amazon.com: Astron SS-30 Power Supply 110/220VAC-12VDC 30A Converter: Electronics

Another solution might be to keep the battery in the thrower and just hook a battery charger to it. The battery stays charged and the cost for a small simple battery trickle charger is very low. Or do I not understand all of the circumstances?

/ How to adapt 2 volt clay pigeon thrower to 110 electric #4  
K0UA is correct. Your problem will be the instant draw when you trigger your thrower. A battery can easily handle that but a 12vdc power supply would need to be at least 360 watts (expensive) to provide that much current. Your best bet will be to keep the battery and hook up a charger to it.

/ How to adapt 2 volt clay pigeon thrower to 110 electric #5  
   / How to adapt 2 volt clay pigeon thrower to 110 electric #6  

I am thinking the spike of current will be higher than that 10 amps. As noted above, a battery will have no trouble handling a momentary spike, but a power supply will not be happy.. Hard to say what the current draw is during the few milliseconds of the clay throw. That is why I was suggesting the call to the engineering department (if you can actually get hold of them)

/ How to adapt 2 volt clay pigeon thrower to 110 electric #7  
Don't know how a powered thrower works. Does it use a motor to slowly cock the unit then release with the trigger or does it use a motor to fling it when it triggers? One way would use a lot less amperage than the other.

/ How to adapt 2 volt clay pigeon thrower to 110 electric #8  
Don't know how a powered thrower works. Does it use a motor to slowly cock the unit then release with the trigger or does it use a motor to fling it when it triggers? One way would use a lot less amperage than the other.

Thats a good point. I don't know either. I was thinking a solenoid pulse, but your cocking a spring theory sounds good, and a lot more doable.

/ How to adapt 2 volt clay pigeon thrower to 110 electric #9  
What we need here is an engineering analysis, formulate a hypothesis of how it works, and recommend a solution... Sounds right up my alley, IF I could get my hands on the thing.:laughing:

/ How to adapt 2 volt clay pigeon thrower to 110 electric #10  
Have to go to a gun show now. Will check back in later to see what we figure out here.