Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 4103

Default How to adapt 2 volt clay pigeon thrower to 110 electric

I have a trap thrower and would like to plug it into an outlet as I can shoot right outside my barn I have plenty of outdoor plugs.
    Making sure the deep cycle battery is charged is a pain for me. Is there any way to adapt this to a regular 110 house outlet?

I have a white wing which I am not crazy about it stopped working and the company sent me another not problem the second
    one stopped working have way thru the first box of clays. I am thinking of replacing it with Champion Easybird Auto feed double trap
    you can get it on amazon for $609.96 free shipping for prime member.

But my main question is there a way to convert from battery to a house outlet 110?
    Michelle Linnane
    Stonewall Boarding and Game Preserve
    www.stonewallboarding.com

Tractor
    Kubota BX2200D, JD D130

Default Re: How to adapt 2 volt clay pigeon thrower to 110 electric

You will need to find a transformer to step down the voltage to 2v then power the thrower.
    Use a 2v battery charger sitting next to the thrower powered by an extension cord. Will keep the battery charged as well.
    Other option is the rewire the thrower with 110v components.

Option two is cheaper and easier.

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Sure. You need a power supply.. Your title says 2 volt.. I am kinda doubting that.. did you mean to say 12 volts? All you need is a power supply with enough current capacity to replace the battery. 12 volt high current power supplies are common and easy to procure, especially from Amateur radio suppliers. Do you have the current requirements?.. I notice that the Champion Easybird has a 30 amp breaker and from that I would infer that when throwing a bird the current requirements might spike up to near that value.. Just guessing here, perhaps a call to the manufacture to get the current requirements would be a great idea.

Astron makes some nice power supplies that might work for you. Here is an example.

Amazon.com: Astron SS-30 Power Supply 110/220VAC-12VDC 30A Converter: Electronics

Another solution might be to keep the battery in the thrower and just hook a battery charger to it. The battery stays charged and the cost for a small simple battery trickle charger is very low. Or do I not understand all of the circumstances?
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    Kubota B7500HST

K0UA is correct. Your problem will be the instant draw when you trigger your thrower. A battery can easily handle that but a 12vdc power supply would need to be at least 360 watts (expensive) to provide that much current. Your best bet will be to keep the battery and hook up a charger to it.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Ford 5000, Kubota 2150 HST, NH TC45 D, JD 375 Baby Skid Steer --- STUFF THAT GOES ON EM

I refuse to feel guilty for being a productive member of society

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Marvel View Post
    I am thinking the spike of current will be higher than that 10 amps. As noted above, a battery will have no trouble handling a momentary spike, but a power supply will not be happy.. Hard to say what the current draw is during the few milliseconds of the clay throw. That is why I was suggesting the call to the engineering department (if you can actually get hold of them)
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Ford 5000, Kubota 2150 HST, NH TC45 D, JD 375 Baby Skid Steer --- STUFF THAT GOES ON EM

Don't know how a powered thrower works. Does it use a motor to slowly cock the unit then release with the trigger or does it use a motor to fling it when it triggers? One way would use a lot less amperage than the other.

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Marvel View Post
    Don't know how a powered thrower works. Does it use a motor to slowly cock the unit then release with the trigger or does it use a motor to fling it when it triggers? One way would use a lot less amperage than the other.
    Thats a good point. I don't know either. I was thinking a solenoid pulse, but your cocking a spring theory sounds good, and a lot more doable.
    James KUA

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

What we need here is an engineering analysis, formulate a hypothesis of how it works, and recommend a solution... Sounds right up my alley, IF I could get my hands on the thing.
    James KUA

Gold Member
    Tractor

Have to go to a gun show now. Will check back in later to see what we figure out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast