My SPOILED child gets a new playhouse!

/ My SPOILED child gets a new playhouse! #1  

Bob_Skurka

Hi all,

A little over a year ago my wife & I decided that our 8 year old daughter needed a playhouse. We live about 6 miles outside of town so we took park of our land and essentially made it into a park like setting and we put a jungle gym, swingset, fort, etc down in that area so she'd have someplace to play. We also encourage her friends to come to our house because we figure they are not out running the streets or whatever. Well my daughter is now 9, the playhouse took much longer to build than I anticipated. And what started out on paper as a simple 1 room box turned into 2 rooms, cathederal celings, interior and extierior light fixtures, a private deck. As the project grew, I did manage to draw the line at plumbing, there was no way I was putting in a septic system for a playhouse.

Anyway, I went way over budget (about 500% over) but the outcome is something that will keep her (and my wife) happy for many years to come.

Attachments

• 372691-1front.JPG
    372691-1front.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 988
   / My SPOILED child gets a new playhouse!
Side View of the playhouse. Taken late summer before all the siding and the exterior light fixtures were installed.

Attachments

• 372693-1side.JPG
    372693-1side.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 616
Rear view of the playhouse, which also shows the distance of the playhouse from our home. . . which gives you an idea of how long of a trench I had to dig (thank God for tractors) to run the electrical down to the playhouse!

Attachments

• 372697-1back.JPG
    372697-1back.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 641
Here is an interior picture. This was taken yesterday. Sorry about the quality, I took it with a "camera phone" instead of my regular digital camera. This is a shot of the "living room" of the play house.

The living room is painted Pepto Bismol Pink.

By the way, the doors are 6-panel doors that were cut down to become custom 4 panel doors. So they are about 5' 5" tall. There are 2 doors and 7 windows in the structure.

Attachments

• 372698-1living2.jpg
    372698-1living2.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 605
Here is another picture of the "living room" but this time it looks back to the "bedroom" area.

Attachments

• 372700-1living.jpg
    372700-1living.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 489
Here is a "bedroom" picture. Just outside of the picture on the right is a door that leads out to the "deck".

The living room is 14' by 8' and the peak of the ceiling is about 7.5'.

The bedroom is 7' by 8' and the peak of the ceiling is about 7'.

Attachments

• 372701-1bed.jpg
    372701-1bed.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 433
   / My SPOILED child gets a new playhouse! #7  
So Bob, when do you start making the furniture? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

By the way, nice playhouse! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ My SPOILED child gets a new playhouse! #9  
Bob that's really a great looking project. I'll bet your daughter loves it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

How well I remember "Pepto Bismol Pink" we had 4 youngsters. All adults now, thank the almighty.

Thanks for the compliments. This is obviously a project gone out of control.

I am a desk jockey so I don't work quite as fast as people who know what they are doing when it comes to building things. But I am not afraid to try. I was surprised by how long it took to get things done, and I did have some help. My wife actually figured it could be built in 1 long weekend and then finished out the next weekend. It took 2 of us 2 full days just to frame it. And when it came to the drywall that was no fun at all. First, it had to come down that big steep hill. And since the rooms are small, the sheets were measured, then taken outside so they could be turned the right direction, then brougth back inside. So that was work that could only be done on days when it wasn't raining or snowing or too windy!

HENRO . . . thanks for the compliment on the Servants Quarters. Believe it or not, the house was designed in 1912. We built it in 1995. Most everyone who sees it thinks it is a "modern" design. If something conceived shortly after the turn of the century can be called modern, then I guess it is.