Virginia Garage and House - Let the process begin.

/ Virginia Garage and House - Let the process begin. #1  

hcallaway

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC33D, Ford 3600
11-22-09 was when my last thread was started. My premise was to do it on the cheap. Not cut corners but build as much building for as little as possible. I shared most of the costs as best as I could remember. I built a 40 x 64 x 12 with an apartment, HVAC, 300'+ well, septic for garage and home, 400 amps of power, 24 x 48 shed, fire pit, fence, add on building to my shed for some farm animals. It has been great. I owned it free and clear. We have had numerous parties and great memories. My kids had even bigger and better parties. I think the biggest had over 200 show up with only minor issues. The final goal was to build a house there once the kids were out of the house. JUST ONE small problem, my loving wife was not interested in living 20/30 minutes from where she loved living. So my project starts a new.

s83.photobucket.com/user/hcallaway/media/Genito%20new%20house%20and%20land/IMG_20140909_123811110_zpsb00dpovv.jpg.html]
IMG_20140909_123811110_zpsb00dpovv.jpg
[/URL]

/ Virginia Garage and House - Let the process begin.

We purchased 5.38 acres in Chesterfield County VA. This was very close to where we lived since 1990.

Found the land with the help of a land and timber managment friend who saw a no hunting sign. He called and asked what the owner what he was going to do with the property. The next day a sign was on the land. It was sold that day to a real estate agent. I was too late for the deal; however, I called and said if anything happens. The rest is history. Two weeks later, I had a title in hand. The land had a pond, great location, best schools in Virginia and IT WAS WHERE MY WIFE Agreed to live.

We cleared about 3.5 acres.
Logged some of the timer. All pine, not much value.
Burned the rest after getting all the proper permits.

The land was bought in late spring of 2014. Sold my house in 1.5 weeks. Had to move in 2 weeks. Last week the County issued the building permits to start on the garage and house. That was a process that took about 7 months. The garage is going to be 36 x 60 x 12. We are finalizing with the County on attic trusses for storage. This would add about 900'. The house is only going to be 1800' with a 2 car garage with heat and a half bath. Construction should start in two weeks if the ground can dry out. I have cleared a lot of the land with my New Holland. I added a used root rake and it has proved to be very useful for cleaning up all the dropped branches.

/ Virginia Garage and House - Let the process begin. #4  
Looking forward to your build.
You had many of us jealous with your fantastic man cave.

I drooled over all that space.

When you started I had a 15x15 area in my basement with 7.5' ceiling in Northern Virginia. However in late 2011, about the time you were finishing up, I stumbled across our "retirement" home, which included 4 shops totaling about 5,000 sq foot with ceilings up to 14 foot and 400 amp service.

Your detailed cost inclusion made me quickly realize the value of my shops. In 2012 I never figured I'd have them almost "full" by 2015 :( and :).

Please keep us informed with pictures and costs like you did before.

The land was bought in late spring of 2014. Sold my house in 1.5 weeks. Had to move in 2 weeks. Add in until last week, I finally got the building permits to start on the garage and house. The garage is going to be 36 x 60 x 12. We are finalizing with the County on attic trusses for storage. This would add about 900'. The house is only going to be 1800'with a slightly bigger 2 car garage with heat and a half bath. Construction should start in two weeks if the ground can dry out. I have cleared a lot of the land with my New Holland. I added a used root rake and it has proved to be very useful.

Looking forward to your build.
You had many of us jealous with your fantastic man cave.

I drooled over all that space.

When you started I had a 15x15 area in my basement with 7.5' ceiling in Northern Virginia. However in late 2011, about the time you were finishing up, I stumbled across our "retirement" home, which included 4 shops totaling about 5,000 sq foot with ceilings up to 14 foot and 400 amp service.

Your detailed cost inclusion made me quickly realize the value of my shops. In 2012 I never figured I'd have them almost "full" by 2015 :( and :).

Please keep us informed with pictures and costs like you did before.

Thanks. I really enjoy sharing, it makes it a lot of fun when people on this site add their comments. I cannot share what the man cave's selling price was, but I can tell you that I came out pretty good. I mentioned that I sold my house in 1.5 weeks. Over the years I had other guys say they wanted to buy the Man Cave if I ever sold it. That is great, but will they really come with the cash? As soon as word got out I was going to build a new house other than Amelia, the Cave was sold in about a week. My deal is to live there and store my toys until the house and garage are built. No commissions, no rent, no rush, (that has changed as he wants in asap to store a car collection). My wife was surprised when I told her my efforts paid for themselves. This go round I am not going to do much of the work. I don't have the time; however, I think you will like what I am planning for the garage if it all works out.

/ Virginia Garage and House - Let the process begin. #7  
Look forward to following your build! Just down the road away's in Lunenburg.

/ Virginia Garage and House - Let the process begin. #8  
Looking forward to seeing your progress.

/ Virginia Garage and House - Let the process begin. #9  
Isn't the cost of burning permits in chesterfield crazy. I have been piling and burning warming fires instead.

Isn't the cost of burning permits in chesterfield crazy. I have been piling and burning warming fires instead.

The burn permit was $400 with a one time 30 day extension. Writing the check was the easy part. Getting signatures from those around you to agree to let you burn on your own land was it's own problem. I had issues with my contractor that cleared the land. It was pretty much robbery on his part when he insisted on another $1200 to bring his equipment backto the time period when Chesterfield allows burning. It was his choice when to clear and he knew that getting the burn permit (which he was suppose to get and me pay the fee) might take some time. We exchanged words and I agreed to another $800 not the $1200. He really should not have be paid either amount, but it was too messy to bring in another contractor at that point.
Also Chesterfield required a Million Dollar General Liability Policy naming Chesterfield as the holder or payee. One of the many nuggets of information I have found out as the process goes on.