Firewood: To split, or not to split?

/ Firewood: To split, or not to split? #21  
I hear ya. Today, I'd buy or build a firewood processor in a heartbeat.

But back when I was much younger, I put myself thru college with the GI bill and selling firewood just that way. It was the 'energy crisis' of the 70's and you could really sell firewood at the time. I bought an old rust bucket '59 Chevy pickup, installed a new short block engine, built a wood flat bed on the back that could hold good 1/2 cord, and peddled one load every afternoon after classes, 2 loads on Saturdays, door-to-door for $25/load.

Started with an old Homelite XL-12 inherited from family, soon bought my first Sthil....041 Farm Boss...and paid for the saw in 2 weeks ! I cleaned up laps from timber sales on the National Forest and had an unlimited supply. Did it for 2 years nearly every day the weather would co-operate.

Wife had a job as a pharmacy clerk, and we actually lived pretty good ! Didn't have to borrow a dime for school, boy, THOSE were the days !

Yep, those were the days. :) College costs have outpaced firewood prices unfortunately.

I don't know how to figure the amortization of a processor, or how many cords of standing timber is needed to justify one. They aren't cheap and once committed to buying one you have to put the wood through them or have an expensive barn ornament. On the other hand, already having a tractor provides the tools to handle log lengths.

A tractor, stand alone splitter and decent chain saw is probably the sweet spot for a one-time, weekend warrior clearing of small ?? acreage.

/ Firewood: To split, or not to split? #22  
That is the question <sorry Shakespeare fans>

I don't use any firewood for heat right now (may change eventually), but I have a LOT of trees that need to be cut down, or cleaned up....mostly standing dead Ash, and Maple. ... So, I'm going to start selling the wood rather than give it away. ...
I'd be concerned about selling the Ash ... due the possible spread of the Emerald Ash Borer.

You might want to check Federal and Michigan state regs ... due to the quarantines both the Feds and the State of Michigan have established.

/ Firewood: To split, or not to split? #23  
I'd be concerned about selling the Ash ... due the possible spread of the Emerald Ash Borer.

You might want to check Federal and Michigan state regs ... due to the quarantines both the Feds and the State of Michigan have established.
If your ash trees are dying(and mine are) the borers have already come and passed you by. Just don't ship any wood north to a place they haven't got yet.

/ Firewood: To split, or not to split? #24  
Yep, those were the days. :) College costs have outpaced firewood prices unfortunately.

Yep. College tuition is up by a factor of nearly 10 where I attended, and a cord of wood is only up by a factor of 3 over the same time period.

A tractor, stand alone splitter and decent chain saw is probably the sweet spot for a one-time, weekend warrior clearing of small ?? acreage.

That is the sweet spot I've been in now for the last 25 years, cutting 5-8 cords/yr for our personal use.

/ Firewood: To split, or not to split? #26  
I split everything above 4" and quarter everything larger than 8". It seasons faster and open grain starts to burn faster. Bark slows down the burn. I shoot for 4"x4" to 6"x6" 18". Stack/pile and cover for 2 years. FWIW

/ Firewood: To split, or not to split?

Good point. I had already checked on this, and Michigan laws allow transportation, and sale, of Ash firewood within the lower peninsula. I checked the Federal laws on this a while back and can't recall the details, but didn't see anything that would cause a problem.

/ Firewood: To split, or not to split?
Took a couple of pictures today of the expanded/new piles...

Some of the really big stuff in the far right pile (32-36") is likely Cottonwood, so I'm not planning to sell it, but had to get it cleared anyway.

Nice new pile of 10-18" logs:

/ Firewood: To split, or not to split? #29  
and gas 50 cents/gallon.....
But what were you making an hour then? I had one job at minimum wage of $2.30 per hour then moved up to a gobermint job of $4.20 / hour. It takes about $25/hour to buy the same gas today but that is pretty common.

/ Firewood: To split, or not to split? #30  
Good looking wood. I insist that my wood be in the 8-10" diameter range (16" long) for about half of the order (6.5 cords) and a little smaller (6-8" dia.) for the other half. I buy my wood already cut and split, the farmer that does it delivers as well. I am on his way to town.