Firewood: To split, or not to split?

/ Firewood: To split, or not to split? #1  

GManBart

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 241, Kubota SVL90-2
That is the question <sorry Shakespeare fans>

I don't use any firewood for heat right now (may change eventually), but I have a LOT of trees that need to be cut down, or cleaned up....mostly standing dead Ash, and Maple. In the past I was having friends, neighbors, and coworkers come by with their trucks/trailers and load up all they could take. I finally got tired of doing all the work (felling, limbing, bucking, and stacking) and essentially handing out $100 bills on a regular basis. So, I'm going to start selling the wood rather than give it away. Around here lots of people have roadside setups with face cords ready for loading, and get from $65-75 for them...I have a perfect spot for this ready to go.

I'm just not sure about what to do with the smaller rounds that are bigger than kindling, but not big enough to split....what is the minimum size (diameter) you would expect to see included in stacked wood for sale? Similarly, how big would be okay to leave unsplit?

Everybody loves pictures, so I'll give you one of the start I have on stocking up on wood. I cleared a small area behind our house over several days and wound up with at least double the wood in the picture below. To give you an idea of size, look at the far pile and the log that's on the ground at the far left...it was 30" across at the widest spot (28" bar on my big saw, so I'm confident of the size).

/ Firewood: To split, or not to split? #2  
I don't split stuff below 4" diameter, above that I do. But I also let mine season a year under roof.

/ Firewood: To split, or not to split? #3  
I prefer to have everything split at least once. It seasons much better. I don't usually bother with stuff smaller than 3 or 4", I find it isn't worth the time

/ Firewood: To split, or not to split? #4  
That is a really good starting pile. I don't see anything in it that is too small to sell. After all any customer is going to need some small stuff to use as kindling in the mornings. Customers vary, some want nothing but straight grained oak between seven and eight inches in diameter split into quarters and others will want anything called good hardwood split down to five inch by five inch maximum with the whole tree, stump to limb tips you can reach around thumb to index finger as the cut off point.
find out what your customers want and give it to them. Make that SELL it to them at a fair price.

/ Firewood: To split, or not to split? #5  
I would try to sell the wood cut to 16" lengths but not split. If you don't own a powered splitter it isn't going to be worth your time to hand split a couple cords of wood now and then; you already have a better paying job. :D

Selling rounds minimizes your time and effort. People can split the wood by hand, or rent a splitter, and they don't need a chainsaw. You sell it a little cheaper and they put some sweat equity into it.

/ Firewood: To split, or not to split? #6  
I would try to sell the wood cut to 16" lengths but not split. If you don't own a powered splitter it isn't going to be worth your time to hand split a couple cords of wood now and then; you already have a better paying job. :D

Selling rounds minimizes your time and effort. People can split the wood by hand, or rent a splitter, and they don't need a chainsaw. You sell it a little cheaper and they put some sweat equity into it.

If your selling wood as a business proposition then you have to provide what the customer wants. Yes you will have some that will take it in the round for a cheaper price but most people that just buy their wood want it in pieces that will already fit into their stove. You will have some that want 18 inch furnace wood where a six inch log is just halved but two out of three want 16 inch wood where that same eight inch log is quartered.

/ Firewood: To split, or not to split? #7  
You could also check with some local fire wood sellers - they might be willing to take the felled trees off you hands/they have to get the wood somewhere. I know people who buy standing wood, fell it, & sell it in 8' lengths for processing into firewood.

/ Firewood: To split, or not to split? #8  
If your selling wood as a business proposition then you have to provide what the customer wants. Yes you will have some that will take it in the round for a cheaper price but most people that just buy their wood want it in pieces that will already fit into their stove. You will have some that want 18 inch furnace wood where a six inch log is just halved but two out of three want 16 inch wood where that same eight inch log is quartered.

Agreed but I didn't think making a business of it was the goal. No way I would go into the firewood business with a chainsaw and splitting maul.

/ Firewood: To split, or not to split? #9  

They are also gonna want it seasoned and I mean longer than a week.

/ Firewood: To split, or not to split? #10  
Small solid rounds have a good place in maintaining a fire, so a mix in with split wood would be a value - perhaps unperceived at first. Im in with splitting everything above 6" but leaving a very small % of 6s unsplit. 4s likewise at greater unsplit %. Smaller should go whole. Too many rounds will destabilize a stack.

Providing wood is a lot of work. The ones who make money get it free, because its a burden to the landowners endeavor, and then put work in and sell it. Seldom will you find these people short of free wood so even $5 a truckload with them loading will fall thru in the long run.

You may be able to get something for your unfinished wood from the people stocking up for themselves.
,,,Good luck!
larry