outdoor horse area

/ outdoor horse area #11  
Thanks for the info so far,
Attached is the picture of the barn
As far as drainage, would a perimeter drain be sufficient or do you suggest drainage underneath the ring itself as well?
Thanks
Dave

I came across a reference to a drain underneath the ring.
-If you use a tile or drain under the ring- make sure that the materials you use to build the footing of the ring are porous so that the water can pass through to reach the drain pipes/tile. -A layer of clay can be impervious to water and will work against the drainage under the ring. Likewise many local soils contain clay or silt that after a time may contribute to the ring losing its porosity.

-good article: Horse Arena Footing | EquiSearch

/ outdoor horse area #12  
Thanks for the info so far,
Attached is the picture of the barn
As far as drainage, would a perimeter drain be sufficient or do you suggest drainage underneath the ring itself as well?
Thanks
Dave

First, nice looking barn.

second, under drains could end up being a pain in the horses rear. Erosion and sink holes pop to mind and one of my worst fears is having a horse drop a hoof into a hole. One of my friends bought a place that looked great. Come to find out, the previous owner buried all of the debris when they cleared. How did he find out, one of his daughters less expensive Hanoverian's found it.

/ outdoor horse area #13  
I would suggest fence panels, and the top corners squared, not the rounded, (if a wreck happens and a horse gets a foot in that joint it can be a near impossibility freeing it, Or continuous fencing) basically the panel with out the up rights and fastens to posts, ends fit together and there are special pieces for corners,

the second thing the panels would have the best resale value, and the continuous fence would have a second best,
wood fence is a loss from a resale value,

and if the arena needs larger, or smaller it can easily be changed with panels, put a post at each panel joining and wire the panels on,

if one needs to get a larger piece of machinery in one can remove a few panels and have access,

on the posts, if you can talk to your power supplier, and see if they have 4 or 6 good used utility poles and put them in around the out side as well so if one wants some lights you have the posts to mount them on,

First think horses are an animal if they can get hurt from some thing they will figure out how to do it,

did read on one forum that some one used the electrical fence tape, 2" wide, and space it for there riding arena, but it need to be replaced ever few years, Zareba® Poly Tape, 2 in. - Tractor Supply Co.
this is a 5 inch tape, HorseFence Direct - Centaur Hot-Rail Fence

a vinyl fence could be a consideration as well.

Last edited: