House demolition

/ House demolition #1  

Foozle

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740
Having just finished a new barn, I'm getting ready to have a new house built and need to have the old one torn down. I've already looked into having someone move the entire house, but because of the size, basement, brick, fireplace, etc. everyone is saying it would be impractical.

Any advice on whether it is work salvaging wire, copper pipes, etc. or is it better to just have someone come in with big equipment and just cart everything away as is?

Also, is there any savings or benefit of removing wooden porches, etc and burning versus paying to have hauled away?

Finally, anyone know if fire departments still have any interest in burning them down for practice? Again didn't know if that had any benefit in terms of a cheaper final demolition as there would be less to haul away.

Thanks!

/ House demolition #2  
Check with your local Fire Chief on training burns. They might be interested.

/ House demolition #3  
...Finally, anyone know if fire departments still have any interest in burning them down for practice?
Our Hillsville fire department burnt down a barn and a house (with all sort of nasty stuff inside) a year ago... I think the owner of the property "donated" ~$600 to VFD.

Then he had a couple kids "recycle" whatever metal they could find on the property... unfortunate for him they found the old farm sink they took out before the burn. He "hid" it in the woods but since the tin roof was blown all over the property, the kids found it and did something with it.

/ House demolition #4  
Having just finished a new barn, I'm getting ready to have a new house built and need to have the old one torn down. I've already looked into having someone move the entire house, but because of the size, basement, brick, fireplace, etc. everyone is saying it would be impractical.

Any advice on whether it is work salvaging wire, copper pipes, etc. or is it better to just have someone come in with big equipment and just cart everything away as is?

Also, is there any savings or benefit of removing wooden porches, etc and burning versus paying to have hauled away?

Finally, anyone know if fire departments still have any interest in burning them down for practice? Again didn't know if that had any benefit in terms of a cheaper final demolition as there would be less to haul away.

Thanks!

Generally the way they pack it all into trucks or containers (all crushed up) very little to save by your burning bits.
While copper is worth saving I would not go to the trouble of stripping ahead of time however if you are present while the demo takes place you could probably snatch a good portion from the rubble as it will become loose and easy to pick.
In fact the demo guy will often pick it out with his bucket teeth. (he wants it)
A good demo guy will have 3 piles. Copper, steel, and real rubble. They pick and sort between truck loadings.

/ House demolition
Thanks for all the good ideas. I'll check with the fire department anyway, as it might be helpful to them, then get a few estimates on demo.

/ House demolition #7  
In my experience, getting other involved and the effort that goes into trying to make a buck from it, always costs more and creates headaches that you just don't need. Not to mention liability and just plain stupidity by those who might show up.

Hire a reputable company to get rid of it, you'll be better off.

Eddie

/ House demolition #8  
Check on county permits.

mark

/ House demolition #9  
Volunteer your house for a movie company to burn or blow up.

/ House demolition #10  
In my experience, getting other involved and the effort that goes into trying to make a buck from it, always costs more and creates headaches that you just don't need. Not to mention liability and just plain stupidity by those who might show up.

Hire a reputable company to get rid of it, you'll be better off.

Eddie

This. We had a convenient store buy a local motel for a new location. They worked with the local community center and sold off the HVAC units, doors, light fixtures, etc.. That took forever and ended up with some disputes over who was taking what. Sounded like a nice idea but did not work out that way.

We came in and stripped the brick off the building to keep it separate. We then took an excavator tot eh structure and ran the material through a crusher. Ended up with piles of crushed brick, which we reused. And Piles of mixed rubble that were hauled to the landfill. Running it though a crusher really made it easy to handle and transport.