Garage Floor Cleaning

/ Garage Floor Cleaning #1  

sld

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1210 / Ford 1710
I've recently started cleaning up the attached garage and have some old oil / grease stains on the floor. I've tried many things but have yet to get them to "lift" out. I've tried power washing, Tide detergent, mineral spirits, etc.... Tire marks are still there too.

Anyone have any experience as to what really removes old oil stains from concrete? I don't need it perfect but the cleaner the better. I now am parking 3 cars in there that have no leaks. The main culprit was my tractor at one time but that has now been fixed.

/ Garage Floor Cleaning #2  
I've used a stiff bristle brush and Simple Green, but in view of what you've already tried, I doubt that it would do any better.

/ Garage Floor Cleaning #3  
I have used Muriatic acid to clean concrete. works very well but need lots of ventilation.
Using a diluted solution may be what you need.

/ Garage Floor Cleaning
I have used Muriatic acid to clean concrete. works very well but need lots of ventilation.
Using a diluted solution may be what you need.

Does that actually remove a layer of concrete? If so, how much? Noticeable to surrounding areas?

I do have some slope to the floor for drainage so it has been a challenge to get liquids to stay put for very long.

Thanks for the replies so far as all are welcome.

/ Garage Floor Cleaning
I've used a stiff bristle brush and Simple Green, but in view of what you've already tried, I doubt that it would do any better.

The cleanest spot so far was where I used the brush and some Tide. Worked great for dirt but not so good on oil. And I don't want to do the entire floor with the little brush I have! :laughing: I might rent one of the round buffing machines though.

/ Garage Floor Cleaning #6  
I'm almost positive Muriatic Acid will not touch your old grease/oil buildup.

It will definitely etch your concrete if improperly used.

I'm kinda picky about my shop floor. I don't allow any oil/grease to stay on the floor. I use a LOT of floor-dry. Even with that consideration I still have oil stains. No buildup, just stains. Hydraulic oil is the worst.

I'm afraid you may already have it as good as it's going to get. :(

/ Garage Floor Cleaning #7  
I have used TSP (TriSodium Phosphate). It is sold in hardware stores. It is usually a powder so you can make a paste and let it sit for stubborn stains. I used it on an oil stain on my asphalt, it took off the stain and the sealer underneath the oil.

Have you tried dish soap with a stiff push broom? The best soap I have found is Sunlight for oily messes.

/ Garage Floor Cleaning #8  
If it's meant to be "clean space" and not "work space," consider putting down Racedeck tiles (or one of their competitors). They're easier to keep clean and you won't see those stains anymore.

/ Garage Floor Cleaning #9  
+1 to this:

Capture.JPG

I had some bad oil stains on the floor of the garage of the house we recently bought. On the side where the shop is (no cars) I wanted to paint the floor. I let the concentrate sit on the stains for a while, then took a hard bristle brush to it with some HOT water right out of the boiling tea kettle. Used a shop vac with a wet-vac nozzle to pull everything out of the crevices, and then repeated. After a good rinse, the spots were much less visible, AND the floor took paint with no problem. Maybe give that a try?

But like Bird said, if you've already tried other cleaners, maybe it won't work for you.

/ Garage Floor Cleaning
I have read about the TSP and might pick some up and try it. I've tried the dish soap and hot (not boiling) water. It's hard to get good scrubbing action with the push broom.

The rest of the floor is pretty clean except for the oil spots. I'm not sure they will ever come up and I'm ok with that. At least it's clean enough to lay on as I will occasionally change oil in this garage.

Those Racedeck tiles look really nice. I have about 700 square feet so I'm not sure about the price.

It's funny, people will tell you that paint won't stick very well but wherever I've spilled some it never comes off! (at least not very easily)

Thanks for the tips. I was hoping there was a magic bullet.