My Container Barn

/ My Container Barn #151  
I figured I'd resurrect this one, Eddie that barn is awesome. I just read through the whole thread, how's it holding up for your buddy?

/ My Container Barn
It's still standing and the last time I was up there, the owner had it full of stuff. He built a house a little ways away from it and has a guy living there full time to keep an eye on things. For a single guy, the apartment is just the right size, especially since he is outdoors most of the time. The only problems he has had is the washer/dryer went out and they had a terrible time replacing it. I sized the space really tight to get it in there. I guess maybe it was just a little too tight, because it took three of them to get the new one in. One of the window AC units had to be replaced. It stopped draining properly and caused some damage to the wall before dying completely.

I have a 40 foot container that I'm using for storage right now. It's highly disorganized storage, but still big enough that everything in it is laying in a different pile and I can still find what I'm looking for, or another spot to put something else. One of my winter, cool weather projects is going to be to build some shelves and get as much stuff off the ground as I can. It's really great for storing long lumber, pipes and metal. Down the road it will become one of the walls to a barn I plan to build to park my tractors and trailers so they will be out of the weather.

Eddie

/ My Container Barn #153  
It's still standing and the last time I was up there, the owner had it full of stuff. He built a house a little ways away from it and has a guy living there full time to keep an eye on things. For a single guy, the apartment is just the right size, especially since he is outdoors most of the time. The only problems he has had is the washer/dryer went out and they had a terrible time replacing it. I sized the space really tight to get it in there. I guess maybe it was just a little too tight, because it took three of them to get the new one in. One of the window AC units had to be replaced. It stopped draining properly and caused some damage to the wall before dying completely.

I have a 40 foot container that I'm using for storage right now. It's highly disorganized storage, but still big enough that everything in it is laying in a different pile and I can still find what I'm looking for, or another spot to put something else. One of my winter, cool weather projects is going to be to build some shelves and get as much stuff off the ground as I can. It's really great for storing long lumber, pipes and metal. Down the road it will become one of the walls to a barn I plan to build to park my tractors and trailers so they will be out of the weather.

Eddie

I filled up my 40 today with the spoils of my divorce. Glad I got the 40, somehow I'm still storing some of her crap that she'll probably never take.

/ My Container Barn #155  
50 years and counting with the same ball n chain:confused3:

/ My Container Barn #156  
50 years and counting with the same ball n chain:confused3:

I'm guessing even after 50 years I'll still be stuck with the same ball and chain, well at least till the kids are on their own. There are times when I doubt us getting divorced, but the times I realize why I did far supersede them.

/ My Container Barn #158  
Bumped again!

Very interesting thread, I did something almost the same except just one container on one side, and the rest of the structure all welded steel pipe & purlins, etc. etc.

I NEEDED the container because it was QUICK after my divorce (and I still had to rent a storage unit for extra clothes, dishes, etc.) I lived in an RV while I kept all my "building" tools in the container.

Once the "inside side" of the container was dried in & no chance of rain getting inside, I cut a portion out of the side wall & framed it with steel so I can get into it easy from inside the shop. I also added a steel walk through door on the "solid" end of the container. The original bi-fold doors on the opposite end are in the back and don't get used much.

I didn't have a big budget, and buying a damaged container for $800 delivered made all the sense in the world.

Sad thing about divorce......
I never understood how some people get through divorce easily.
Mine was (and still is, meaning the after effects) pretty awful.
Dark days, those were.
When my wife first wanted me out, I took one full day to build a 8'x8'x8' plywood cube with a single pitched roof and lived in it for a month.

/ My Container Barn
Sorry about your divorce. It does get better over time, and keeping busy really helps pass the time!!!

The owner of the container barn had a guy living there for quite a few years. He got married and then bought a house about an hour away. The owner started remodeling it, but sort of lost interest fairly quickly, and the living area is now used for more storage. Other then that, nothing has changed with it.

My current plan for the 40 foot container that I have now is to do like you did, and build a roof over one side of it. I am going to add on to my house where I have a lean-to off of my garage. All the stuff under that lean-to will go under that roof. Then later on I hope to build a good sized barn that will hold everything, and then convert that container roof area into four separate chicken coops for meat birds that will be butchered every two weeks.

I've been adding shelves to the container and use it for storing all my long stuff, like 20 foot lengths of steel and rebar, along with whatever can tolerate the heat. For the money, there is nothing out there that compares to a shipping container.

/ My Container Barn #160  
Divorces are a tough one, no doubt, but it does get better. It’s been just over 3 years since mine was finalized and it took 3 long, horrible, miserable years to come to the agreement. I still haven’t gotten to my container barn project, glad this thread is alive. My 40’ is still full from the divorce, but the two 20s are functional and organized for parts and equipment.