My Container Barn

/ My Container Barn #11  
How did you attach the headers onto the containers for the the trusses to set on?

I've got a 20' container, and am thinking of getting another and doing a similar thing.

Keep the pictures coming.

/ My Container Barn
In my part of Texas there are no building codes outside city limits. Anything goes.

I put the truss's on 2X12's that I bolted onto the sides of the containers. I used 3/8 bolts every 2 feet.

I had the pad level when they arrived, but when I adjusted them to line up perfectly even 24 feet apart, one sank a couple inches on the back side. I stopped messing with them and installed the headers to keep everything level.

The trusses sit on top of the 2X12's and are blocked in with 2X4's on both sides.

/ My Container Barn #13  
I've been checking into containers lately, and find that they are fairly reasonable.

Gregg@OnSiteStorage.com

Email Gregg at www.onsitestorage.com and if you close to a major hub, as I'm clsoe to Atlanta, then the 40ft unit was $1200 plus $200 to deliver. Supposed to be garenteed to be air and water tight.

Les

/ My Container Barn #14  
Eddiewalker,

Interesting idea /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I like the fact that you get the extra secure storage area. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

keep us posted /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ My Container Barn #15  
Boy what a good idea!:

I think I've got to call my sisten - n - law now and tell her I came up with a great idea /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif for a storage barn on her inherited property that is 300 miles away to put in a mower ect. lol I love the odea of using two of them and some trusses between for sides.

keep the photos comming.

SPIKER /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ My Container Barn #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Where did you get the containers and how much are they? Don't know that I want one, just curious. )</font>
I priced used shipping containers a coupla months ago. Local place wants 1450 + tax and delivery for an unpainted 20 ft container, 1750 + tax and delivery for an unpainted 40 ft container. They also offer 10 ft for 1350 and 15 ft for 1600. The shorter ones are cut down from the longer ones, have a rollup door instead of container doors, have a hardwood floor and are painted. They sell them as storage units.

I have been thinking of a 20 ft'er. Pretty durned cheap for an 8x20 watertight, rodenproof, varmit resistant storage box.

/ My Container Barn #17  
I was watching a program on TV several months back talking about the subject of a business in NY that sells lots of the shipping containers. Folks use them for all kinds of applications. I like the idea myself, and If I could get away with it in my area I would more than likely have two 20 footers for my inventory storage.

A guy can buy a brand new pallet dolly at Harbor Freight for under $200.00 and stack a lot of merchandise in those 20 footers.

/ My Container Barn
The only real negative was having to lower my ROPS to store my CUT.

We had a 20 footer on another ranch I worked on and it was just big enough for one ATV and some tools. The extra 20 feet really makes a huge difference.

I've seel quite a few containers converted into hunting cabins and job site offices.

/ My Container Barn #19  
The only problem that I'm aware of with using these containers for long-term storage is mildew. The "sea-land" vans that we used had vents in the front that could be opened to allow some ventilation, but even with that mildew was a problem in the south. Maybe just the humidity here.

/ My Container Barn #20  
Hi...

Yep... moisture buildup inside the enclosed container can certainly be an issue... best to have ventilation...

Dave...