Excavating/grading question

/ Excavating/grading question #1  

Jpcjguy

Bronze Member
Tractor
None
Hi all,

So I am looking to level out my backyard a bit. It is a 2 acre property and I would build a retaining wall where I am cutting into the ground. Here is an aerial view:
Grading%2Bpic.jpg

Section A is where I will be taking the dirt and moving it section B. I also want to level out the dip in section B (arrows) The black line in section B will be a 80' 12" pipe for drainage from the tree area to the neighbors yard. BTW, I have never seen any moving water in that area - even in the heaviest rains, I think it is a "just in case". The green line that is 350' is going to be a driveway for the detached garage I am planning to locate where the shed is currently. (Shed will be moved)

Here is a side view of section B:
yard-from-driveway.jpg

The red line is the slope I want to achieve - don't want a dip in the driveway to the planned garage.

Here is section A from the patio:
yard-from%2Bmudroom%2Bdoor.jpg

The red lines indicate the "cut" I want to do to get rid of the slope. I am looking at going 4-5' down.

Another angle with area in red affected:
yard-from%2Bback%2Bcorner.jpg

One more angle pic:
yard-from%2Bmudroom%2Bdoor2.jpg

So based on this - what kind of equipment should I use? Rent something myself? If so what type/size?
What kind of time frame should this take?
I have received some what I think is ridiculous quotes - anywhere from 15k-25k.

I also found a guy that would do it with his tractor at $85/hr. This is what he has:
00u0u_7frgWd1WFMA_600x450.jpg

His estimate was 2-3 days (only going by my pics and obviously does not account for school bus sized rocks that might be underground.)

What do you all think? First time dealing with this type of job. Oh, I am outside Richmond, VA.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Grading%u00252Bpic.jpg
    Grading%u00252Bpic.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 117
   / Excavating/grading question #2  
I think the "right" tool would be an excavator plus a bulldozer or a large front-end loader to move the dirt from "A" to "B".

If Area "A" is roughly 4' x 50' x 50' of excavated dirt that is 370 cubic yards of material--about 23 tri-axle dump truck loads--which makes me think the tractor isn't going to dig, move, and grade out that much in 2-3 days.

If you have never seen surface water running across Area "B", I wouldn't put a pipe there. Can you live with a broad gentle dip in the driveway, enough to let any water across? It generally isn't nice to concentrate and direct water flow to a neighbor's land.

Will you be permitted to have a second driveway? See what the retaining wall will cost before creating the need for one. :) You might be shocked.

Do you have surface water running to your patio from Area "A"?

/ Excavating/grading question #3  
12" pipe for an area that has no evidence of surface runoff seems excessive.

/ Excavating/grading question #4  
If Dave's numbers are correct and I'm sure they are, he's a smart guy, that puts your contractor quote of $15,000 at $40.54 a yard. WTH?

/ Excavating/grading question #5  
Did the quotes include building the wall and the material for it?

/ Excavating/grading question #6  
Seems like a lot of dirt to move. Go big or go home. Like someone said, excavator and dozer. I did not follow your intentions closely but have done a lot of earth moving lately and much included changing grade.

The problems I kept running into were:

Places to put surplus material
Places to get extra material, sometime the surplus material was not suitable.
When changing a grade, it is often difficult to know where to stop. You can keep getting into bigger and bigger trouble without building retaining walls and that becomes expensive.

When I built my drive shed, the earth moving guy estimated around a thousand bucks or so. It turned into about eight times that! Two hundred truck loads later! And I still have an issue with the grade to the approach to my house, which is now too steep, plus my water lines froze because I removed cover!

/ Excavating/grading question #7  
What's the neighbour think of maybe getting some water?

/ Excavating/grading question
Thanks for all the responses! Seems the biggest question is the pipe and water run off to the neighbors. That is not an issue.
Here is a pic of the yard during a torrential downpour and you can see the standing water around the trees. This is just in the ruts from the previous owner's ZTR. The ground is compacted and water is not penetrating. I have to fix that also.
yard-rain.jpg

Here are more shots of the yard in general:
yard-front-door.jpg

yard-front-side%2Bfrom%2Bpatio.jpg

Here are two recent snow shots that show the melting snow and where the "natural waterway" is. This is where I would put the pipe so that I am not actually changing how the water runs currently.
snow_water2.jpg

snow_water3.jpg

Where the pipe would go as marked by the arrows:
snow_water.jpg

Attachments

• snow_water2.jpg
    snow_water2.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 107
   / Excavating/grading question
I think the "right" tool would be an excavator plus a bulldozer or a large front-end loader to move the dirt from "A" to "B".

If Area "A" is roughly 4' x 50' x 50' of excavated dirt that is 370 cubic yards of material--about 23 tri-axle dump truck loads--which makes me think the tractor isn't going to dig, move, and grade out that much in 2-3 days.

If you have never seen surface water running across Area "B", I wouldn't put a pipe there. Can you live with a broad gentle dip in the driveway, enough to let any water across? It generally isn't nice to concentrate and direct water flow to a neighbor's land.

Will you be permitted to have a second driveway? See what the retaining wall will cost before creating the need for one. :) You might be shocked.

Do you have surface water running to your patio from Area "A"?

dave1949 - thanks for the post - the area to be excavated is not a 4' box per se - it would be probably half that cubic yard - 185 roughly. 4'-5' is the deepest and it slopes down to where I want it. so more of a triangle.
I am ok to have a second driveway - already checked. Retaining wall cost does scare me some. I have built one before and after talking to a supplier, I am looking at about 4k for the blocks. I am afraid what installation would cost....'shudder'....
I also do not have any water running to the patio currently. Surprising considering the current slope down to the patio.