Best Stain for "Barn Red" color and long lasting protection

/ Best Stain for "Barn Red" color and long lasting protection #21  
Turkey Blood? Turns black. Linseed oil costs the earth..and peels. Iron oxide .. and bleaches out. Red Lead is poisonous. Red transmission oil (used) works, ...lasts forever and is waterproof, but flammable. Egg yolk (otherwise called egg tempura) pigmented with red Iron oxide..is the most permanent coating known.. with raw linseed oil. That's what the ancient oil canvas painters used, notably Rembrandt ----See Google.

/ Best Stain for "Barn Red" color and long lasting protection
Personally, I would use an oil based paint rather than a stain. Part of the look of a red barn is the gloss that comes with oil and stain lacks that. I used expensive and high quality stain on a barn round 15 years ago and it was a disaster. There was little wood protection and it started dulling in a few weeks. Rustolium used to sell a "red barn' gloss oil based paint that worked real well and Agway Farm stores in New England also used to sell a "red barn" gloss oil paint in 5 gallon buckets that looked great.

Honestly though I don't think there's going to be a lot of gloss from rough cut lumber. Maybe more gloss but a shinny rough sawn board doesn't sound appealing to me. Maybe I will try a sample just to see. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

As of today I have tested about 5 products including a higher end Sherwin Williams stain. Thus far my favorite product is a Olympics Maxium stain product. It's a solid color stain.

/ Best Stain for "Barn Red" color and long lasting protection #24  
You know, you could also drive around and find a barn with a color and texture that you liked and then ask them what they painted it with. I've doe things like that in the past and it worked out for me.

/ Best Stain for "Barn Red" color and long lasting protection #25  
I have used the Solid Cabot stain - color is Baked Brick on a small barn. I really like the color and applied the stain in early November 2010. Looks good still and the red is a very pleasing color especially in there sunlight. Does not have that orange hue some red barn stains have.. Here is a picture taken this am in on an overcast day. This is pine board and baton type barn.

Attachments

• IMG_9248.jpg
    IMG_9248.jpg
    952.1 KB · Views: 1,601
I have used the Solid Cabot stain - color is Baked Brick on a small barn. I really like the color and applied the stain in early November 2010. Looks good still and the red is a very pleasing color especially in there sunlight. Does not have that orange hue some red barn stains have.. Here is a picture taken this am in on an overcast day. This is pine board and baton type barn.

Can you tell me which version it is? I'm assuming their oil base but wanted to be sure. Thank you

/ Best Stain for "Barn Red" color and long lasting protection #27  
I thought I read it here but BE VERY CAREFUL in assuming a formulation that was used YESTERDAY (mostly pre 2004) is the same formulation TODAY.

Or even a formulation sold in a big city is the same as one sold in the country. I remember seeing VOC contents being different for smog laden areas.

So a formulation used in Montana may be different in Ohio.
attachment.php

source:leed_voc_referenceguide.pdf

Attachments

• voc-paint.JPG
    voc-paint.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 1,490
   / Best Stain for "Barn Red" color and long lasting protection #28  
this is a nice barn and a nice colour

/ Best Stain for "Barn Red" color and long lasting protection #29  
IMG_9256.jpgIMG_5148.jpgIMG_8277.jpgThis is water based Acrylic paint - Cabot Brick Red 0806. Barn is from Lancaster County and on skids. Front doors are high enough to drive the Kubota tractor with ROPS.

Decided to go with the 0300 oil based stain. It's a semitransparent in barn red. Will go darker later if I don't like it. I called Cabots too and got immediate help with great support. I was in shock as any more you can't speak to real people.