Food plot 2015

/ Food plot 2015 #1  

vtsnowedin

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 5045E
I want to use this ground as a food plot for deer but also build up it's fertility in case I need it to grow food for us human doomers. Probably will not ever need it but there is no harm in having it in the best shape possible and the deer will certainly appreciate the effort. :D Here is a before picture.

And here is after I have plowed it over (more or less) working around the rocks and trees.

I plan to plant a green manure crop, add lime and plow that under mid summer then plant a cover/food crop that will feed the deer in the fall and be plowed under next spring for another cycle.
First problem is that the wear parts on my plow have had it and I need to find replacements before I can plow the green manure down.

/ Food plot 2015 #2  
Looks like a good start. I have lots of fun with my food plots. And each year they get better and better as I improve my soil with liming according to soil samples and by use of cover crops. I personally don't use my plow at all, but do some work with my tiller. However, you may want to look into no-till methods if you are lacking ground engaging equipment. Tons of info available online. Just a thought. Have fun.

/ Food plot 2015
Looks like a good start. I have lots of fun with my food plots. And each year they get better and better as I improve my soil with liming according to soil samples and by use of cover crops. I personally don't use my plow at all, but do some work with my tiller. However, you may want to look into no-till methods if you are lacking ground engaging equipment. Tons of info available online. Just a thought. Have fun.

I'd prefer to not use any herbicides but I see nothing wrong with Lime or fertilizer as long as the application does not kill the microbes and fungi in the soil. To me a rototiller is just a plow and harrow combined and is no more evil or a godsend then the plow and harrow.

/ Food plot 2015
What plow do you have? Ken Sweet

I believe it is a Case , it is two bottom shearpin type. I bought it thirty years ago with my first tractor ,a 880 David Brown and it didn't have any paint or markings on it even then.

/ Food plot 2015
Some pictures of the plow just so it really happened.

/ Food plot 2015
Always be sure to have enough tractor to pull and operate the implement you are using. :)

/ Food plot 2015
Well time for an update. I finally measured what I had plowed up and it comes to one point six acres. Not having a good disk harrow ( something I'm going to fix PDQ) I was forced to just use an old (Very OLD) spike toothed harrow I had lying around. No where good enough for finish work but as I plan to plow this crop under close enough. It has been very dry after I plowed the plot so the dirt is powder and breaking up nicely. There is rain in the forecast for the weekend so over the last two days I have seeded 150 pounds of whole oats and 15 pounds of clover mixes and five pounds of a turnip and brasica mix.
It is not the right time to plant the turnip mix but if I get caught up doing other things it might work out for the best.
I still need to spend a coupler of days picking stones off the plot if other work doesn't interfere.
I have an ominous message on my answering machine that might mean I will be rejoining the minions that commute to work each day. I'm glad I got the seed in the ground today.

/ Food plot 2015 #10  
I see you are making progress.

I am about 3/4 of the way through the book you mentioned, Soul Of The Soil. There is a lot to learn from that book, thanks for recommending it.

We are finally getting a bit of rain and things are greening up slowly. I broadcast seeded 10 lbs of alsike clover this morning here and there in small patches.

I was making progress on my rocks but have to take a break for my aching back. It was sore Saturday while working and Sunday I was about crippled up.

Did you get called back to work?