699.4 KB · Views: 200
   / We call it the barn
Pictute3

Attachments

• image-1509803659.jpg
    image-1509803659.jpg
    656.8 KB · Views: 209
   / We call it the barn #14  
Nice touch with the cedar logs. Are they from your land? I use them on porches and gazebo's at my place. I found that when I put them in the ground, they start to rot fairly quickly. I have two on my porch that I did that way and I noticed the rot in about five years. They will be coming out this year and I will put them on to of a concrete pad. All of mine rest on concrete several inches above the ground. I drill a 3ft deep, 1ft wide hole in the ground and put a five foot length of channel iron in the hole. Then I fill the hole with concrete and make a form out of wood or a few inches cut off of a sono tube to get above grade. Then I put the post on top of the concrete and drill two holes through it and the c channel. Since the logs are so thick, I use galvanized threaded rod to bole it all together. This has proven to be a good long term solution to the rotting log problem.

28.jpg

37.jpg

45.jpg

Eddie

/ We call it the barn
Nice touch with the cedar logs. Are they from your land? I use them on porches and gazebo's at my place. I found that when I put them in the ground, they start to rot fairly quickly. I have two on my porch that I did that way and I noticed the rot in about five years. They will be coming out this year and I will put them on to of a concrete pad. All of mine rest on concrete several inches above the ground. I drill a 3ft deep, 1ft wide hole in the ground and put a five foot length of channel iron in the hole. Then I fill the hole with concrete and make a form out of wood or a few inches cut off of a sono tube to get above grade. Then I put the post on top of the concrete and drill two holes through it and the c channel. Since the logs are so thick, I use galvanized threaded rod to bole it all together. This has proven to be a good long term solution to the rotting log problem.

Eddie

Eddie,

Yes the cedar is from my land. I debated long and hard about burying them even for the center posts but ended up purchasing 6x6 treated for the buried main supports. I wanted the look of cedar and couldn't beat the price so I dug 3' down and poured cement then used rigged up forms to make a raised platform that slopes with a 1/2" J bolt in the middle. I wish I had pictures of before but this is what my poles base looks like. I figure the white wood will rot quicker then the red so the poles are bigger then the base. Im so envious of your cement mixer, I did one bag at a time in a trough that is just wide enough for a hoe to fit it.

IMG_1903.JPG

We also used the cedar poles to outline our front porch. There is a 6x6 holding up the corner then we did some chainsaw butchery to make supports. The cross cedars, I used a 1 1/2" hole saw and bored the center of the poles then used a rezip saw to carefully cut away the outside leaving me with a nice post to fit the corresponding hole.

IMG_1906.JPG

/ We call it the barn
IMG_1904.JPGIMG_1905.JPG

Here it is with most of the tin on it. The ridge cap has not come in yet but otherwise its on to framing out and siding on.:dance1:

/ We call it the barn #17  
Okay, you officially made building a pole style shed look easy! I have collected a few cedars about your size to do just this and make a shed or barn or something like you have and to perform similar duties.

Did you buy the tin for the roof used or new? What was the rough price on that. That is the biggest part I need to have in the bank or lined out.

I will continue to watch as I love seeing folks build stuff.

And now I have to go see what Eddie made with those huge logs!

/ We call it the barn #18  
Looks good. What color siding are you going with?

/ We call it the barn #19  
I couldn't tell how you set your logs and it's nice to see you took the extra step to protect them from rotting out.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!!

Eddie

/ We call it the barn
Okay, you officially made building a pole style shed look easy! I have collected a few cedars about your size to do just this and make a shed or barn or something like you have and to perform similar duties.

Did you buy the tin for the roof used or new? What was the rough price on that. That is the biggest part I need to have in the bank or lined out.

I will continue to watch as I love seeing folks build stuff.

And now I have to go see what Eddie made with those huge logs!

J, I would be misleading you if I said it was easy so far. Trying to get things squareish and plumb have not been easy. But it has been worth it in knowing I can do it and that the tractor has a roof over its head for the first time. And as a side bonus the wife loves it. She even drove the tractor out to make room for her party she was having in it. She bent the auger backing over it but she loves the barn...:confused2:

I tried to get used tin for the roof off craigs list but since I work during the day I missed all the ads I saw. So the roof came from menards. It is a steel roof and has cost ~900. I used 3'x8' and 3'x12' panels with 20" rolled steel bent in place as valley transition between roofs. I can take pictures if you need. Also I did not put the ridge cap on yet but that is in the 900 figure. For I'm guessing 300 more I could have put weatherstripping on the sides of the roof but I did not. We will see how bad it weathers.

Make sure you don't make the same mistake as I have too many times this project, take whatever number of screws or nails and buy double. I have had to make three emergency trips to get more nails and then screws. This really threw off my night and made me a crabbier then normal person. I think we used almost 15 lbs of nails so far and 10 lbs of screws.