We call it the barn

/ We call it the barn #1  

deranged

Gold Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 102, L3600 Kabota; 1530 John Deere
We started the shed\barn today. It is only going to be 29x20 so it is not huge. I would love to have the ability to take what I think I need, add 30% then double it but that is not in the cards right now. This will be the hay loft, tractor roof, feed storage with a stall for a cow in the future.

I had fun trying to level the place. My property is sloped where ever I go so I used the tiller to loosen the soil then scooped and pulled it around. Im proud of it but I know it could have been done a lot better.

Started setting the 6x6 posts. It started raining on post 4 so I had to call it for the night. They are 3' deep and our frost line is 2'. With drainage issues with my clay I add some rock to the bottom foot then just back fill with soil.

More to come as I get time.

Barn1.PNGBarn2.PNGBarn3.PNGIMG_1885.jpgIMG_1886.jpg

/ We call it the barn #2  
Looks similar to the barn I built in 1994. I made it twice as big as I first intended, ending up 48wx36 deep and outgrew it in less than 5 years. For budget reasons, I only put concrete floors in the center section, a big mistake I rectified as quickly as I could.
Lighting , power, and concrete floor, or you will never be satisfied with the finished project.

/ We call it the barn #3  
Good luck with your project. I too am going to build a barn in the early fall. Nothing fancy, looking at 42' X 72' pole barn. I had to level the area also, its close but not perfect. Not going to worry about getting it level, the roof line will be perfect, I'll just have some walls taller than others. Will fill in the low area's after its built. Keep us posted with pictures as you go.:)

/ We call it the barn #4  
Looks like you are off to a good start. I like the plan, it will be fun to follow your progress

Eddie

/ We call it the barn
I've been dodging rain this last week whenever I have time to work. So it has been after dark when I quit so sorry for no photo updates till now.

I got all the 6 main poles dug and sunk. The hayloft is up. Hopefully tonight I can get the decking on it. Then on to "trusses". I've got 2x6x8 for the trusses I just have to figure out my angles on the first one then make a jig.

Attachments

• image-2139592329.jpg
    image-2139592329.jpg
    806.9 KB · Views: 372
   / We call it the barn
Well the wife and I have been busy. Got the floor up and then started on trusses. After figuring out the proper way to tie the trusses to the decking things started going surprisingly quick. It was also surprising how quick it went from shaky to a mostly solid frame. Next up is the side sheds. We will see if those come tomorrow or next week.

What is everyone favorite siding? I'm wavering between t11, metal, or maybe vertical boards.

IMG_1897.JPGIMG_1898.JPG

/ We call it the barn #7  
Batten on board would look real nice once weathered.

/ We call it the barn #8  
I'd put hardi plank on and never have to worry about it.

/ We call it the barn
This hardy board intrigues me. I was leaning towards ruff cut and battens but we will see. I've got the roof framed and some tin up. The picture upload keeps messing up so I'll do a separate post of pictures