Retaining Wall Post Question

/ Retaining Wall Post Question #1  

dieselscout80

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
We need to build a retaining wall 30" tall about 200 feet long along our pond. The wall would be to make it safe to mow and walk along the edge.

We are planning to use ground contact rated 2"x8"x16' for the wall four high for most of it, but some may ony be three high.

If we drove 6.5 foot steel t-post on 48 inch centers into the ground until only 29.75" was above the ground and place a deadman every 8' would that work?

This route will be much less work than 4"x4" posts.

/ Retaining Wall Post Question #2  
I doubt the t posts will add much strength.

I assume you are placing the posts outboard of the 2 x 8 s. If not you should. The dead man's should have a T on the ends to anchor against the force pushing out.

I know 200 foot wall will be expensive but I have my droughts about the strength of using 2 by s. Might work with closer set posts.

I built a retaining wall much shorter but higher. Used 6 x 6 s with one below grade and many deadmans.

It sounds like a big enough and expensive enough project to get a consulting engineer involved.

/ Retaining Wall Post Question #3  
If I needed to build one with 2x8's and T-posts, I would build it one board high, like wide stair steps, maybe 2 feet apart. (or wide enough for a mower)

Bruce

/ Retaining Wall Post Question
Here is a short one we built out of 6x6s, but I'm hoping to keep the expenses low on this one.

Attachments

• WP_002849.jpg
    WP_002849.jpg
    480 KB · Views: 215
  • WP_002843.jpg
    WP_002843.jpg
    484.2 KB · Views: 153
  • WP_002833.jpg
    WP_002833.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 141
  • WP_002773.jpg
    WP_002773.jpg
    529.6 KB · Views: 168
  • WP_002774.jpg
    WP_002774.jpg
    536 KB · Views: 164
If we used railroad ties how often would you run deadman back into the back doea a 35" tall wall?

I'm thinking of just putting the deadman in the row just below the top roll, but would they need to be every 8' or could I go to every 16' in that roll?

/ Retaining Wall Post Question #6  
I didn't put my deadmans all on the same level. I put some low, some in the middle and some toward the top.

/ Retaining Wall Post Question #7  
diesel, I think ye did that short one good. But ground contact treated 2x8s might be hard to find, I'd want to use maybe 4x6 posts. Stagger'em like old GPinthe said too, plenty of T posts for strength. Ye just cannot cut corners in building stuff. Ye place looks good!

diesel, I think ye did that short one good. But ground contact treated 2x8s might be hard to find, I'd want to use maybe 4x6 posts. Stagger'em like old GPinthe said too, plenty of T posts for strength. Ye just cannot cut corners in building stuff. Ye place looks good!

A local yard has ground contact rated 2x8s.