Ground Leveling/Grading

/ Ground Leveling/Grading #1  

Fergie13

Tractor
Ford 1510
Hello,

I'm building a garage on my property and currently working on preparing the site. I removed an existing concrete slab, and now I need to level and grade, as well as spread gravel. I was thinking of hiring someone to do this for me, but then I found out that my future mother-in-law has a small Ford 1510 (22hp) tractor with a rear 48-inch blade attachment. Since I've never leveled this large of a site (approx 40'x50'), I'm wondering if this tractor/blade combination will be able to get the job done?

Second, I would like to get any advise on how to level the ground. I've watched YouTube videos, but they pretty much just show you how to spread gravel. My thoughts is that I just progressively keep setting the blade depth lower and lower, and just keep scraping until it seems level. Then use stakes and string to see how levels it is, and fill in low spots until it's level. Probably a lot easier said than done.

Thanks!

/ Ground Leveling/Grading #2  
My personal opinion is that is way too small. We have an equivalent size tractor and I've been using the scrapper off and one, probably 50-60 hrs over the last several years, and I would not feel comfortable doing something that size. Just for smoothing small areas with our tractor is a pain. For leveling I would think that you would want a box scraper. If you want to try it yourself, I would rent a skip loader, but you also might consider if you want to base your entire 2000' garage on your first time grading. Also, what is your plan for compacting?

/ Ground Leveling/Grading #3  
My personal opinion is that is way too small. We have an equivalent size tractor and I've been using the scrapper off and one, probably 50-60 hrs over the last several years, and I would not feel comfortable doing something that size. Just for smoothing small areas with our tractor is a pain. For leveling I would think that you would want a box scraper. If you want to try it yourself, I would rent a skip loader, but you also might consider if you want to base your entire 2000' garage on your first time grading. Also, what is your plan for compacting?

Careful with the lingo there pohorsky. Most folks around this forum will read "skid loader" not "skip loader." For those following along, google "Deere 210LE" and commence to drooling!

/ Ground Leveling/Grading #4  
Careful with the lingo there pohorsky. Most folks around this forum will read "skid loader" not "skip loader." For those following along, google "Deere 210LE" and commence to drooling!
What was the correct term?

/ Ground Leveling/Grading #5  
What was the correct term?

You used the correct term. My warning was for the folks reading along that will think skid steer. As you know, that's a different animal.

/ Ground Leveling/Grading
I haven't thought about soil compacting yet, but I probably should think about how I'll go about doing that.

I am also concerned that the Ford 1510 might be too small for the job. My mother-in-law also has a J.I. Case 1410 tractor available, but I'll have to track down a box scraper for it. I'm starting to this that this might be too big of a project to take on, the problem is that it's difficult to find someone to do it right now since most people that live around us are scrambling to get crops in the ground. I might see if someone can level the dirt, and then I'll spread and level the gravel.

/ Ground Leveling/Grading #7  
I build a lot of pads using a 35hp tractor or my CTL. Google "bobcat services" or "excavation and grading contractors" and also check on Craigslist. You should be able to find someone happy to get the work.

/ Ground Leveling/Grading #8  
You used the correct term. My warning was for the folks reading along that will think skid steer. As you know, that's a different animal.

Okay, just wanted to make sure I'm not using some term that only the people in with 30 miles use and understand.

/ Ground Leveling/Grading #9  
that looks like a nice piece of equipment. I have never ever seen anything like that in our area.

/ Ground Leveling/Grading #10  
I excavated and leveled an area for my 24x27 equipment shed using a 19 hp KiotiLB1914 with 48" bucket and tooth bar and a 6 foot manual adjust rear blade. It took a while but I had fun doing it. I didn't run into rocks I couldn't move (although that could easily be a limitation of this size machine). I did run into roots I couldn't break but a few swings with the axe and problem solved.

So is it possible - certainly. Just depends on how much time you want to send. BTW - it was my first time too and the shed is still fine after 7 years. I don't anticipate any problems.