Rock driveway/lane width

/ Rock driveway/lane width #1  

Rook54

I am in the process of establishing a driveway/lane to my newly constructed home. The lane is approximately 175 feet. I have already put down 3 inch rock, on 2 different occassions, about 3 months apart. I am getting close to putting down the road pack mixture to finish the job. My question is what would be a average width to make this lane. Eight , ten, or twelve feet +. I'm not real sure, but I am leaning toward around 12 feet. Any thoughts??

Adam

/ Rock driveway/lane width #2  
it is easy to drive something not so wide on a wide road not not so easy the other way around.
Just my 2 cents

/ Rock driveway/lane width #3  
I personally would go with 12 feet + , simply because of the size of some of these trucks( concrete, rock,etc.). /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Rock driveway/lane width #4  
I put down a crushed limestone drive way in late September and I made it 16 ft wide. If you have got the width, then go for the wider. You wil probably say to yourself later, "I sure am glad that I didn't make it narrower".

By the way, my drive was 250 ft long and I put down approxmately 6 inches after scraping etc. I have had concrete trucks on it and you can not even tell that they had been on it.

You will need the wider width....

Don

/ Rock driveway/lane width #5  
I agree with wider as we went 15' when we put the drive in. Wider is better except in waist lines. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Rock driveway/lane width #6  
How much money do you want to spend?

Legal limit on width for vehicles is 108", which is less than 10 feet.

Most driveways are 12 feet to allow a sence of not falling off while driving them. Longer ones usually save money on the finish by going 10 feet. A good compromise is to build your base 15 to 16 feet and finish 12 feet. This gives a nice shoulder and visual apperance.

Good Luck,
Eddie

/ Rock driveway/lane width #7  
last summer when i built...i wanted to make our 600' driveway 12' wide. i had to go to 14' because of a town ordinance. all driveways needed to be at least that wide for firetrucks etc to have easier access.

(something you may want to check into)

John

/ Rock driveway/lane width #8  
John has an excellent point. I just completed construction of a nouse in California, and the CDF (California Department of Forestry) which provided fire service for this area had very specific requirements for fire trucks including a turn around area. You've probably already checked, but if not, it might save you a lot of problems later, especially if you have to have a final inspection somewhere down the road.

/ Rock driveway/lane width #9  
Rook54,

At least 12 feet. I built my driveway, roughly 500 feet long,
12.5-13 feet wide. I put down geotextiile fabric which was 12.5
feet wide. I have two sharp turns that are maybe 70 degrees or
so. In the turns I went wider than 12.5 feet. In the "straight
aways" 12.5 feet is narrow with a big F350 especially
with trees right at the edge of the drive. But big tri axle dump
trucks can get up the drive without a problem.

I do have a turning circle at the end of the drive.

Later,
Dan McCarty

/ Rock driveway/lane width #10  
My 225 foot driveway is currently 10 feet wide. I am going to widen it by about another 4 feet. A couple of things I noticed on my narrow driveway. People also drive in the same area which crowns the center and then pushes the stone to the side of the drive. I'm hoping by going wider, the tire tracks will vary and not cause such severe crowning. I have 6 - 10 inches shale base with about 3 inches of crusher run on top. I have all ready widened it where it meets the main road. It is about 25 feet wide there.