Asphalt shingle installation ~ need advice ~ (pics)

/ Asphalt shingle installation ~ need advice ~ (pics) #11  
Also seal up the corners of your drip edge to keep water away from the ply wood deck.

A roof vent on the top would help. Make sure it is installed correct to keep the water out.

Dan D.

/ Asphalt shingle installation ~ need advice ~ (pics) #12  
WHAT?!?!? Perhaps I am not reading you right, but the term shingle in the building world means to make sure the water that runs off of one thing goes OVER the next thing and not behind it. Drip edge over the roof shingle means the water will run behind it. Bad hoodoo. And I don't believe that is what Eddie said either.

No, they are all right and you maybe didn't see the picture. On a "shed" roof like that, the drip edge should overlap the shingles on the upper (high) edge of the roof. The drip edge will then overlap the top course of shingles. On all the other edges, the drip edge goes under the shingles.

/ Asphalt shingle installation ~ need advice ~ (pics) #13  
OK - the top edge. That makes some sense... But still that is not typical for shed roofs I have seen. Of course most shed roofs die into a wall at the ridge, so there is no drip edge...

/ Asphalt shingle installation ~ need advice ~ (pics) #14  
Don't use caulk to seal something--look for the term 'sealant' on the tube. Regular caulk is a gap filler, but lacks adhesion and expansion properties a compound designed as a sealant has. Don't mean to mince words, just failed to note the difference myself before, and it does make a difference. Good old tar is hard to beat for abilities to 'run' in the heat and hold in the cold when it comes to shingles--look for roofing application if you go the sealant route.

/ Asphalt shingle installation ~ need advice ~ (pics) #15  
well i guess technically its better than a tarp

/ Asphalt shingle installation ~ need advice ~ (pics) #16  
more than adequate for your wellhouse.
I let the shingles overhang the sides 1". Never ever would I put drip edge on top of a shingle, even at the top of a shed roof. drip edge would still be under with the shingle extending 1" past. Also, would cut and put tabs at the top over the top part of the shingle that is to be covered. The only exposed nails would be on that last top row.