Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100, Unimog 404 w/ snowblower, Deere UTV w/plow

Default Sealer for concrete shop floor?

We are going to pour a floor for a new shop/garage in a couple weeks. Wondering what you guys like for sealer? Not looking for anything fancy from a cosmetic standpoint, just something to make cleaning up spilled motor oil and hydraulic fluid a little easier.

Tractor
    farm trac 555

Default Re: Sealer for concrete shop floor?

I bought mine at Home Depot BEAR PREMINUM5 gal. 5 gal bucket covered my 30x40 and I still had a little left!. it did a nice job smeared it with a broom. Its a 10year sealer

Tractor
    Kubota R510 Wheel Loader + Cab and backhoe, JD 6200 Open Station, Cushman 6150, ten foot 56 hp Kubota diesel hydraulic wing mower, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Kawasaki Diesel Mule

I never did seal my new driveshed floor as I was going to paint it. Never got to that. But my woodshed floor was sealed. I can't tell the difference. Personally, I think this might be a cash grab for contractors, like selling the fabric protector to a new car buyer.

Of course, I have had more leaks then normal. Big and small. And scratches, big and small. It is a smooth steel trowel finish and not very porous which I guess for spills is good. I've lost the will to fight on this one! It is what it is.

Tractor
    Kubota L3940 L5030 MF205-4

Got sealer at concrete supply place.
    L3940HSTC, QA FEL, BH92
    L5030HST,QA,FEL
    MF 205-4
    Husqvarna YTH24V48LS (the other orange)
    KK Finish Mower, KK Tiller, 6' rotary mower, Pallet forks, PHD, Blade, Carryall, cultivator, 2 wheel barrows, assorted gardening tools,

Tractor
    Kubota l3400

There isnt any sealer IMO that is as durable as the concrete itself.

You have to pay a ridiculous amount of money just to get a good sealer that wont get ate off by gas or harsh chemicals. But it can still chip and peal. And if you plan on doing any torch or welding work, you will have a ton of burn marks that cause the floor to start pealing in that area as well.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    Kubota MX5100, Unimog 404 w/ snowblower, Deere UTV w/plow

Quote Originally Posted by jack707 View Post
    I bought mine at Home Depot BEAR PREMINUM5 gal. 5 gal bucket covered my 30x40 and I still had a little left!. it did a nice job smeared it with a broom. Its a 10year sealer
    Transparent and non-slippery? Have you spilled (or tested) any fuel or oil on it? As mentioned above, I'm not sure if there is enough benefit to warrant the cost and effort?

Tractor
    Kubota M6040

Friend put a very fancy sealer on his new concrete attached garage floor. The sealer was a light blue and then you sprinkle on little colored beads of plastic and roll them in while the sealer is still wet - or something like that.

The sealer job lasted forever because the family moved all their junk out into the new garage and it never saw a car, or gas or anything corrosive. As a matter of fact, if you looked carefully or moved the mound of accumulated junk - you could actually see the floor.
    Ride hard or sit your butt on the porch

Tractor
    LS XR3037HC

I used a box store concrete sealer on my garage floors (2 coats a day apart). Then all the stuff went in the garage so it's hard to keep it clean and harder to reseal later. IMO the sealer I used soaked into the floor and didn't seem to last too long. I've had oil, brake fluid, antifreeze, and many other fluids spilled on it. It doesn't just wipe up because the concrete is porous. But if I put down speedy dry or cheap cat litter right away it soaks it up pretty good. I let it sit a day then grind it into the floor with my heel and sweep it up.

If I could do it all again I'd use the commercial epoxy you see in most commercial shops and dealerships. The epoxy coating seals the floor and the floor shines. You can usually wipe up the spills right away and at the end of the day hose off, sweep, and mop the floor back to the original shine.
    LS XR3037HC w/ 66" QA loader bucket, 7'6" Diamond QA snow plow, 7'6" Snow pusher box, Ford flail mower, 6' Box Blade, Comer post hole digger, QA Skid steer forks, Woods BH750-3 Backhoe, PJ 14K 22' trailer, 16' 14K Cross Country Dump trailer, Chevy Ext. Cab 4x4, 24' Enclosed trailer, Homemade 3 pt. trailer mover, 3 pt. QA hitch, 850 lb or 1200 lb rear ballasts, Hydraulic thumb attachment for bucket or forks.

Tractor
    Kubota's - B7610, M4700

I spill brake fluid, transmission oil, engine oil, grease on the floor and sprinkle it with sawdust and sweep it up.
    It's a concrete garage floor.

I bought mine used, I never saw an original shine.

What's the value of shine?
    My rides - '95 Kubota M4700 w/ PEC, LA1001 FEL :'07 B7610, LA352 FEL, Bush Hog SBX 48 box blade, '09 Woods BH70-X w/ 16" bucket and thumb, 3pt pallet forks, Dale Phillips PHD, Jinma 8" chipper, 2 Piranha's, Winco 12KW PTO generator, Howse plow, 5' KK tiller, 5' Big Bee cutter, with a 2002 7.3L Ford F350 CC DRW 4x4 and '07 18' Hudson HSE Deluxe trailer - 5 Ton to haul it all

Tractor
    LS XR3037HC

Quote Originally Posted by newbury View Post
    I spill brake fluid, transmission oil, engine oil, grease on the floor and sprinkle it with sawdust and sweep it up.
    It's a concrete garage floor.

I bought mine used, I never saw an original shine.

What's the value of shine?
    Not so much the shine but the sealed coat on top of the concrete that keeps spilled liquids from soaking into the concrete. I have good luck using the speedy dry, litter, and / or sawdust like you. A top shiny coat just makes it easier to clean. I remember working at a dealership many years ago and at the end of the day the floor was hosed down, squeegeed out and mopped dry and looked like new again. Sweeping my bare concrete floor gets dust all over everything in the garage.
    LS XR3037HC w/ 66" QA loader bucket, 7'6" Diamond QA snow plow, 7'6" Snow pusher box, Ford flail mower, 6' Box Blade, Comer post hole digger, QA Skid steer forks, Woods BH750-3 Backhoe, PJ 14K 22' trailer, 16' 14K Cross Country Dump trailer, Chevy Ext. Cab 4x4, 24' Enclosed trailer, Homemade 3 pt. trailer mover, 3 pt. QA hitch, 850 lb or 1200 lb rear ballasts, Hydraulic thumb attachment for bucket or forks.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast