Garage Doors as insulation?

/ Garage Doors as insulation? #1  

elginfarm

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4400
Hello TBN'ers,
I just put up a new pole building (42 x 56) and will be putting up an interior partition wall to divide the building into a shop and hay / equipment storage areas. The shop area will be 32 x 42 with a concrete floor and I will be putting tubing in the concrete for future heat. However, my question is this: I have located a company that handles factory second garage doors. The doors cannot be used as doors per se, but they are fiberglass doors rated at R-17 and available in various widths and lengths. However, you do have to purchase in quantity. The doors are typical embossed panels, smooth on one side and typical garage door on the other. I am considering using them to line the interior of my shop area. It would save time and money compared to insulating and either putting up plywood and metal for the walls versus the insulated doors as the per square foot price is considerably less expensive. I would use the flat interior side as my interior side. The ceiling will be typical metal with blown in insulation. Any thought or suggestions about my plan? Do I need a vapor barrier between the panels and the metal walls?
Thanks for your input and advice,
Eldon

/ Garage Doors as insulation? #2  
R17 and cheaper than regular construction methods .... I'd go for it .....

but check with code restrictions first , some places require the walls of "shops" to hold up against fire times and fiberglass won't cut it ...

/ Garage Doors as insulation? #3  
Eldon - The effectiveness of the doors for insulation will be related to how you fix them to the structure. Avoid any thermal bridges and seal well and the doors should be effective. As mentioned make sure there are no code violations.

/ Garage Doors as insulation?
Thanks for the responses. I am zoned "Ag" and it won't be a commercial shop, just my farm shop so I am exempt from the code issues.

/ Garage Doors as insulation? #5  
Sounds like one of those ideas that will cost more and take longer by the time it's all said and done, and not work as well as just using rolls of fiberglass insulation in the walls.