New Driveway Construction

/ New Driveway Construction #1  

FF117

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 4720h
I started dirt work for our new driveway today. It will be approximately 1200 feet to our future home site. I plan on doing the dirt work, compacting with tractor (or a sheep foot compactor), installing 200 lb driveway fabric, covering with 8 inches of 1 inch minus rock (as recommended by the manufacturer), then compacting using a vibrating roller compactor. This is by far the largest project I've attempted, but I figure that if it's too much I'll just hire the rest out. Nothing lost other than my time and some fuel. First step was trying to remove the top soil/grass. This was more difficult than I anticipated because the grass has deep roots. I used the rippers on the box blade to loosen everything up, used the rear blade to windrow the topsoil to the downhill side, then piled it up with the loader. After the top soil was moved, I began scraping soil from the high side of the hill to fill in the low spot at the entrance. The driveway will be located just left of pile of top soil. The shiny area is a knob that I'm scraping dirt from in order to fill the entrance area. There will be a ditch on the uphill side to direct water to the ditch near the county road. If you look close at the last pic there are a couple visitors that walked by to see what I was doing. Like I said, this is my first shot at something like this. I've read a lot of threads and publications, but I'm definitely no expert, so suggestions are appreciated.

Many thanks to Brian at Fit-Rite Hydraulics for setting me up with a top n'tilt setup. I used the heck out of it today. There's no way I would try to tackle this without it.

IMG_20150825_103333797.jpgIMG_20150825_160510584.jpgIMG_20150825_160459655.jpgIMG_20150825_194540753_HDR.jpgIMG_20150825_194556805_HDR.jpgIMG_20150825_163953625_HDR.jpg

/ New Driveway Construction #2  
Several points in no particular order.
1)You will need a culvert to pipe water from the high side to flow under the drive.
2) you will need a drain on the top side of your drive. It is surprising how much water you need to drain away after heavy rain.
3) Allow about a yard for your drain/ (batter or bank above drain is extra and dictated by the natural shear/collapse angle of the soil type.) plus the drive width (unstated) plus another yard on the low side from edge-of-gravel to edge -of-fill. Larger if fencing low side of track or you will feel crowded by the fence.
4) Does your blade have angle and side tilt? needed for topside drain. If not use digger / backhoe.
5) good gravel thickness. Is this going to be a gravel drive or sealed later?
6) what is "1inch minus rock" It seems to be an american term.

/ New Driveway Construction #3  
As mentioned provide for drainage.

Why do you need fabric? Save some money. Spend it on a thicker gravel base.

/ New Driveway Construction #4  
6) what is "1inch minus rock" It seems to be an american term.
1" minus is she stone that will pass a 1" screen.

As mentioned provide for drainage.

Why do you need fabric? Save some money. Spend it on a thicker gravel base.
You can use less stone with fabric. If stone is hard to get in that area, or the ground quality for the subbase is poor, it could be much cheaper to use fabric.

/ New Driveway Construction #5  
1" minus is she stone that will pass a 1" screen.

You can use less stone with fabric. If stone is hard to get in that area, or the ground quality for the subbase is poor, it could be much cheaper to use fabric.

Didn't see any bogs in the picture. Still require a certain amount of granular material to compact and bridge.

/ New Driveway Construction #6  
I'm not a fan of fabric either. It's become one of those things that seem to be recommended on a regular basis here without any particular reason for doing so. Why are you using such a small stone? How thick are you going with your rock?

The secret to a long lasting road, or driveway, is to plan for worse case scenario for water, Then to compact your dirt properly. Sounds like you are doing that with a sheepsfoot roller. That is the best!!! Then to put down the proper rock at least 4 inches thick, with six inches being better. Then water the rock really good!!!

Once it's done, never, every go over it again. Just drive on it and when you notice a pot hole or low spot developing, fix that spot. Never regrade or drag it to pull rock from an area that is perfectly fine to try and fix a bad spot. This is the worse thing you can possibly do to a gravel road!!!!

/ New Driveway Construction #7  
You can look at it 2 ways with fabric. First your saving alot by doing it yourself so you can spend more on material. 2nd if you do end up with problems later you'll say **** wish i would have. Its not something you can install after the fact. My personal view on fabric is it all depends on the soil you are going over. If your on gravel i personally wouldn't use it, Over clay yes i would use it and also in wetland areas. For example i do have a 1200' driveway with no fabric but i do have a long section that runs thru wetlands. I wish i would have used the fabric just in the wetland areas. Even not doing so its still not to bad. Your driveway looks like you won't have an issue with standing water. Your issue is you'll be creating a d.a.m.n. by installing your driveway. So i would suggest you install culverts in your low spots so that the water doesn't get stuck on the high side. Of course when doing your ditch on the high side your ditch should naturally run to the culverts. One word of advice is do not try to fight the water, work with it and let it run to where its going to go and install a culvert in that area to get it across. Looks like you have your work cut out for you so get to it.:drink:

/ New Driveway Construction
Thanks for all the feedback. I am going with the fabric because at $225 for 15 tons of rock it seemed that it will probably pay for itself over time. The cost of the fabric was just over $1000 after shipping so if it saves me 5 loads of rock over the next 10 years I'll be happy. Common practice here is to lay down 3 inch rock, let construction traffic compact, then top dress. I know several people who have done this and they still have to add rock every couple of years. A contractor that I trust also suggested using the fabric.

I'm still not sure what's going to happen with the pipe. The county here installs pipe near the roadway, I guess they don't want you messing up their roads/ditches. I had the road commissioner come out and he said that I don't need a pipe and he wouldn't use one. It's hard to tell in the pictures, but on the uphill side the water will hit the driveway and be directed toward the county road, into the ditch and be carried away without crossing the driveway. This is all assuming that I make a substantial channel for the water so that it won't cross the driveway. I've included a topographical map with arrows showing where the water should flow and the proposed driveway route. The total drainage area that runs toward the driveway is 1/2 acre. I'm hoping to get some rain after the dirt work is done so that I can see the water flow and decide if a pipe is necessary prior to putting any rock down.

A couple of pics from yesterday. Only had a few hours to work but hopefully it's starting to look right. I hope to hit it hard this weekend.

8-26-15 (2).jpg8-26-15.jpgdriveway plan 8-27-15.jpg

/ New Driveway Construction #9  
Like you said, looks like you have a good pair of "supervisors" - post #1 - far right picture. I'm sure they will keep you on the straight 'n narrow and not let you go wrong.:laughing::laughing:

/ New Driveway Construction
Got about 8 hours of seat time today. Almost done with the entrance, working more now near the top of the hill. The top soil up there is really thick and very time consuming to remove. Still have some work to do on the ditch and some final grading. Hard to tell in the pics but the ditch it pretty deep, just need to widen it a bit. Might get some rain tonight so we'll see how it performs. Does anyone know how much compaction I should expect? I want to make sure I build up enough in areas so that it's the right height after compaction. The compactor I've reserved is a 2.5 ton double drum sheep's foot roller.

IMG_20150828_162240749.jpgIMG_20150828_162530544.jpgIMG_20150828_193816860_HDR.jpg