Look what I got...Tire Changer

/ Look what I got...Tire Changer #1  

hunterridgefarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130DT, Kubota L185DT, JD LX277
I can remember watching my dad change tires on this changer at the old country store at around age 6 then at 16 changing my tires on it. It has to be around 50 years old.

The old store closed 20+ years ago and dad was good friends with the owner and he gave it to him. My dad passed about 6 years ago and I was over at his house this weekend getting my wood working equipment and the tire changer.

I can use it for the front tire on the tractor, which I had to fix a couple of times, this would make it easier.

I can re-paint and display it. Or, have a special piece of glass cut and make a table out of it for the man cave, except I don't have a man cave:eek:. But a table would look nice.

Attachments

• IMG-20150905-00408.jpg
    IMG-20150905-00408.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 3,173
   / Look what I got...Tire Changer #2  
That looks like the predecessor to the Coats changer that I use to repair change my tires with.
mine has the air cylinder driven top and bottom bead breaker though. have even used it to switch over my 3500 dodge 1 tons 275x70 17 ten plys every summer and winter

Had to check the # on mine -it's a coats Super Twin Air 705 Tireman

Would really like to find a good used 10-10 Coats:) that would be really nice.

You may just want to bolt it down and use it, they make for a good inexpensive (work out) machine. with added benefits :D Great usable aireloom:thumbsup:

Attachments

• 100_8112.jpg
    100_8112.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 3,928
Last edited:
   / Look what I got...Tire Changer #3  
They don't make em like that anymore. And its a shame. The one I have ($39 on sale Northern Tool) works, but if you're not careful you could bend something.

/ Look what I got...Tire Changer #4  
I bought a new manual machine much like that in the late 80s when I went Stock Car racing. I used it lots then and still occasionally do a tire. It's paid for itself. It has a air cylinder to break the bead and I only had one very old rim and tire where it wouldn't break the beak...the rust on the rim must have grown into the tire. It ended up in the trash.

/ Look what I got...Tire Changer
I had fun explaining to my son how this worked this weekend. I bet it has had thousands of tires change on it.

I remember thinking it was heavy but actually it is fairly lite weight.

/ Look what I got...Tire Changer #6  
Wow! That takes me back to High School Auto Shop back in '74...

Crickey, that's over 40 years ago... thanks for the reminder of how bloody old I'm getting.

/ Look what I got...Tire Changer #7  
That looks a lot like the old Coates that I got from the local high school that they were throwing out.....I got it about 25 years ago, so figure its at least twice that age

Attachments

• Garage 004.jpg
    Garage 004.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 669
   / Look what I got...Tire Changer #8  
Hi ... I believe I have the same Coats Tireman as you. Trying to get information on it operation (how it works) and how I might restore mine back onto service. Also, there is a Coats 10 - 10 for sale near me. Your reply and comments would be most welcome. .j.o. (aka: grandaddy-O)

/ Look what I got...Tire Changer #9  
I have a 10-10. Works well. I've done my own tires forever. Bought a HF bubble balancer a while back, also an excellent tool, Keep in mind something that tire jockeys never do...*because they want to sell you a balance as well)...

When putting a new tire on a rim (besides cleaning the bead area and lubing, always align the dot on the new carcass with the valve stem. Tire makers all spin new tires and mark the lightest spot wit a dot in the sidewall. I rarely add weight anymore.

/ Look what I got...Tire Changer #10  
I can re-paint and display it. Or, have a special piece of glass cut and make a table out of it for the man cave, except I don't have a man cave:eek:. But a table would look nice.

Well now you have an excuse to start your man cave! You need a place to put this. This is the start of your next project.:laughing: