shop lighting

/ shop lighting #1  

mike cook

Tractor
65 massey
I want to put lights in my new 24x36 shop 12' ceiling would like led if not to $$$$$ will put on 3 switches so I can lightup certain areas at at time brand names and model#s a big help thanks

/ shop lighting #2  
My shop is about the same size, had skylights put in the south wall so don't need lights during the day.

PB280159.JPG

All of my power tools are on casters so they can be pushed together out of the way when not being used.

I started with two LED flood lights on separate switches, in the center, pointed away from each other. That worked well until I found a brighter, whiter all direction LED. It is a 14w, 1200 lumens, Ecosmart brand

I removed the flood for the front half of the shop, aimed the holder straight down and screwed it in.

P9300040.JPG

It lights the whole shop. If I need more light for a project, I use a portable LED work light.

Here is a daylight shot of the south wall.

P9300016.JPG

With the LED on, notice how it lights up the wall 15 feet away.

P9300025.JPG

Last edited:
   / shop lighting #3  
led shoplights is what I have, just haven't installed them in the barn yet. do have them in the garage and basement and really like them.

/ shop lighting #4  
not a fan of "florescent tubes/lights" more so in cold weather. the lights will begin to flicker and takes some time for lights to become full brightness.

use cheap "incandescent lights" other words screw in type. instant on and full brightness.
--you can pickup metal boxes cheap, and then screw in holders that fight directly to the metal boxes for 1 to 2 bucks last time i looked. (cheap) only thing that really costs is the wire itself.
--multi small bulbs spread clear around the perimeter of shed. = reduction of shadows a big amount. and generally places light between me and any shelving along the walls of shed.
--i have a couple "strings per say" of lights. each on a different switch.
--i already have power feeding to the light switch area. so easy to put a switch and run an outside light above garage door.
i edited one of Xfaxman images. to show approx location of lights i have in one of my sheds.
garage lighting edited image of Xfaxman.jpg

i would caution use of LED in an unheated / uncooled building. the circuit boards and like of LED's may not last / be rated for outdoor use.

/ shop lighting #6  
High output flourescent lights. I used 3 fixtures with 6 tubes each in a 40x60 with 14' ceiling
I really like them. Do a google search.

/ shop lighting #7  
Since 2009 I've been using this brand of light, which is a high output/ low cost, 65W=500W output Flourex bulb technology. I have three bays with ten foot ceilings and I use 3 of these lamps, one in each bay, all on a 3 way switch. They throw very bright white light.:thumbsup::) I heat my bays to 50*F in winter. I also use a 100W=1000W output Flourex lamp in my unheated adjacent boat bay with 14' high ceiling, 40' deep x 12'W insulated bay. It's mounted at the back of the bay, high up on the back wall pointing downward at a 45* angle.

BTW, I taped over the photocell, and just use the lights on a switch, indoors. They won't hold up outside- too flimsy construction for outdoor use.

Lights of America: 9265 65W Fluorex Flood Light, White.

Last edited:
   / shop lighting #8  
Depends on what you are going to do in there. If you are just going to park a car in there you probably dont need much lighting.
If you are going to use it as a workshop then I can recommend the newer type of fluroescents. They come on straight away without a starter. No flickering. They are more energy efficient than the old ones and aren't expensive to install or replace the tubes.
I think they are also supposed to be less affected by temperature although it never gets below about 45 here so I cant vouch for lower temps.
Had them installed a few months ago and very happy with them....a lot more so than the old style fluro's they replaced.

/ shop lighting #9  
When we installed lighting in my 40' x 60' shop we used eight fixtures with six four foot long T-5 HO tubes per fixture. Ceiling is about 15 feet 4 inches high and the interior is white. It's quite well lit! :D

/ shop lighting #10  
New LED fluorescent from Home Depot. 3200 Lumes. Has a pull switch, they can be connected together with plug in cord provided or directly connected together with connector provided. 4ft lamp, $25 on sale now. Just plug it in. Afaxman sounds like a great solution also.