Larro goes underground

/ Larro goes underground #1  

Larro Darro

Tractor
3930 Ford B1750 & B7500 Kubota
Day before yesterday I decided to start work on a camp on our pond land. A few years back, Sister and I divided that 40 acres, 28 to me and Margie, and 12 to Sister. So the first thing was to step off 132 yards from the north crossroads to get the land line between us.

With that done I started looking for a good site. I wanted a view of the pond without being too close in case of high water. The good high ground is all in the direction of the road, and you don't really want your camp to be visible to passing cars. So I found the crest of the hill where it crosses the road and came back to the south until I could see the pond. You can still see a flash of color when a car passes on the road, but I'll plant some trees to take care of that. I didn't nail down an exact location, but I knew it would be close, so I unloaded all my tools and started thinking about building materials.

I have a couple of tin buildings across the road from the pond that need tearing down, and I was planning to use the tin on the camp. But the drive coming in goes right by the old corn-crib. It's a concrete block building that got most of the front wall knocked down by an oak tree several years back. Building underground had been in the back of my mind all along. I figured block would be about as good as it got for an underground building material. So I backed the truck up and started loading the block off the ground. Soon I was done with them and having to pull blocks from the wall. In two loads, I got 76 whole block and about a dozen half blocks moved.

This was what was left of the front wall {the few upfront}. I was using a 2X6 to "gently" loosen some of the block, but these were more secure.

005.jpg

I got back to it this morning. I worked on the south wall to round out a load. {about 40 block} The south wall is kind of hairy. When the front wall went down, the rafters broke along the top of the wall and the roof made an A-frame. I will have to shore it up before I remove many more blocks. I stopped when I had my load today.

010.jpg

As I was stacking the block on the pile, I found a few rat nests. I'm set for fire starting material now.

015.jpg

When I got the block unloaded I started doing a yard by yard survey to locate the best spot to go underground. This is where I chose. I marked off a 12' X 12' square.

018.jpg

/ Larro goes underground
With the four corners marked, I broke out the power tools.

049.jpg

. . . . And a few hours later. I'm going to dig down about 4' and use the dirt to create berms.

043.jpg

I'm starting the berm on the west side 12' from where the wall will be. I don't want to shovel any of this dirt twice. Until I start to fill in around the walls that is.

052.jpg

I had wanted to move a cubic yard of dirt today, but I had to go into work early. You can see by my yardstick that I got the 3X3 part plenty big. . . .

046.jpg

But I ran out of time before I got the other X3 done.

048.jpg

I had started the block pile before I picked the exact location, but I got pretty close. After digging this thing out, I'm not going to complain about having to carry the block a few extra yards.

032.jpg

/ Larro goes underground #3  
I don't like tools without motors and that have handles.

/ Larro goes underground
Around noon I took a break to have a cup of coffee. Since I'm going to be new to the neighborhood, I thought I would go around and say hello to everyone. I couldn't tell if these guys were home, but they didn't answer the door when I knocked.

038.jpg

/ Larro goes underground
I don't like tools without motors and that have handles.

I'm sure I will be using the tractor to move dirt before it's finished, but with the garden winding down, I need something to fill my time. Digging as much of it as I can by hand will do that in spades. And I love using hand tools. If it is something that I want to do, but don't have to do. If that makes sense.

/ Larro goes underground #6  
That soil looks fun to work with.:)

/ Larro goes underground
That soil looks fun to work with.:)

Yep. Once you get past the roots it's easy digging. I spent far more time carrying the buckets of dirt to dump than I did digging.

/ Larro goes underground #8  
Nice start Larro. I prefer my digging to be more mechanical. Although I guess you could get less mechanical. Laughing. Looking good. How's the water table there?

/ Larro goes underground
Nice start Larro. I prefer my digging to be more mechanical. Although I guess you could get less mechanical. Laughing. Looking good. How's the water table there?

I have been watching a guy on You Tube build shelters with nothing but a rock and a pointed stick, so good sharp steel is pretty mechanical compared to that:eek: But the truth is I want it to blend in with the surroundings, so I'm going to use the tractor as little as I possibly can. {this could be one of the slowest moving threads on TBN}

The pond has held water for over three years now, but it's dropping fast. I think I'm a good 10-12' above the high water mark. The land to the south side of the pond is low, so if we do get high water, it all heads that way.

/ Larro goes underground #10  
Around noon I took a break to have a cup of coffee. Since I'm going to be new to the neighborhood, I thought I would go around and say hello to everyone. I couldn't tell if these guys were home, but they didn't answer the door when I knocked.

View attachment 443238

Looks like a Gopher Turtle nest. Be careful of both the Government and nature. Big fines for disturbing land with in 100' of nest (govmt part) and they share their nests with Rattle Snakes (nature part).