What is a good Pressure Washer pump?

/ What is a good Pressure Washer pump? #1  

kingrace78

Bronze Member
Tractor
AC D14, LS XR4046H
I need to replace the pump on my pressure washer. It has a good 5hp Honda engine, but the pump is worn out. Has anyone bought a good low cost pump for this size engine? I found a triplex pump built by Mi-T-M for less than $200, this looks like the best for the money. Has anyone replaced their pumps with good results?
Thanks John

/ What is a good Pressure Washer pump? #2  
We had the same problem. Good honda engine and worn out pump. Bought a better than original from pwpump.com. Just received an w-mail coupon for 15% off $50 or more purchase. Enter code WEEKLY2015 at checkout. We have a Troy Bilt and this new pump is greater pressure and volume, and looks better built. It was a bolt-on replacement, took less than 20 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ What is a good Pressure Washer pump? #3  
That coupon is good Saturday and Sundays only. Our pump was $150'ish. If you have your original pump model they will cross reference the correct upgrade.

/ What is a good Pressure Washer pump? #4  
From what I've seen, it is important to keep water going through the pump to prevent overheating and damage. There's a relief that prevents complete dead-heading but the water heats up fast.

/ What is a good Pressure Washer pump? #5  
From what I've seen, it is important to keep water going through the pump to prevent overheating and damage. There's a relief that prevents complete dead-heading but the water heats up fast.

My new pump has a thermal relief. When it's too warm the relief opens and burps the warm water out to prevent overheating.

/ What is a good Pressure Washer pump? #6  
I guess it depends on the size and price you paid for your washer to start with.
I have a homeowner type Briggs & Stratton Brute 2800 PSI, 2 GPM washer with a great running engine but a bad pump, cracked hose, missing gun/wand, and nozzle tips.
I looked up a replacement pump, gun/wand & hose kit, and tips. Price comes out to roughly $260. plus shipping.
For around the same $300. price I found several places I can buy a similar brand new 2800-3000 PSI gas powered washer.
Just not worth it for me to buy parts to repair mine.

/ What is a good Pressure Washer pump? #7  
I need to replace the pump on my pressure washer. It has a good 5hp Honda engine, but the pump is worn out. Has anyone bought a good low cost pump for this size engine? I found a triplex pump built by Mi-T-M for less than $200, this looks like the best for the money. Has anyone replaced their pumps with good results?
Thanks John

I have a Honda powered Excello 2400 PSI. It must be 20 years old and has seen a lot of service (oldest son was doing the College Pro Painter thing summers when I bought. The AR triple piston pump crapped out about 7 years ago and I bought a new replacemnet AR. I think it was close to 300 bucks. Well this one crapped out last fall and long story short, did some research and ended up by a new valve kit. Under 50 bucks and it works just fine! Not that difficult to do either

/ What is a good Pressure Washer pump? #8  
I've gone through a number of pressure washers over the years and found that 99% of the time it's the pump that fails. A good Honda engine is hard to beat. I've had great results with Cat brand pumps. Not sure what PSI you're looking for, but you can find them on Ebay or through Power Equipment Direct CAT Power Washer Pump @ Power Equipment Direct - CAT Pressure Washer Pump, CAT Brand Replacement Pump, CAT Pressurewasher Pump. I only use my pressure washer every couple of weeks or less, so I use a compressor to blow the water out before I put it away each time. If I plan to let it set for an extended time, I spray some WD40 in the water inlet and then use the compressor to blow it through the pump. No scientific data that either of those things are better or worse for your pump, but so far it's worked for me.

/ What is a good Pressure Washer pump? #10  
I have a Honda powered Excello 2400 PSI. It must be 20 years old and has seen a lot of service (oldest son was doing the College Pro Painter thing summers when I bought. The AR triple piston pump crapped out about 7 years ago and I bought a new replacemnet AR. I think it was close to 300 bucks. Well this one crapped out last fall and long story short, did some research and ended up by a new valve kit. Under 50 bucks and it works just fine! Not that difficult to do either

I believe I have this same pressure washer and it has lasted for probably twenty years with heavy use. If I was buying a new pump, I learned (the hard way) to make sure your water system supplies enough water for your pump, some rural well systems can't manage it. My caution to my kids is to shut off pressure washer if you are not spraying to avoid overheating the pump, to put antifreeze through the pump before winter and to buy a pump that has a rebuild kit, in my case an AR pump. Maybe useful.