How far can I stretch cord/hose for an air framing nailer? 200 feet?

/ How far can I stretch cord/hose for an air framing nailer? 200 feet? #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
In http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/334565-another-shed-question-screws-nails.html?highlight= I had about decided to use screws for a shed build which is about 180 feet from power.

However later review of other info indicated that nails should be used for things which experience shear, but screws are good for things under load, like putting deck boards down.

In another thread I asked for help picking a framing nailer.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/334486-type-then-brand-framing-nailer.html?highlight=

Based on the excellent advice rec'd here I'm probably going to buy a Hitachi Model #: NR83A3S.

Now I've already got an air compressor (Makita MAC2400, 4.2 SCFM @ 90PSI ) and a 8K generator (http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/welding/336996-smokin-deal-10-000watt-generator.html) (thanks Sodo).

The compressor draws about 13 amps. I've 20 amp 120V circuits. I'm thinking of trying to string 100' of 12 gauge extension cord then running 100' of 3/8" air hose. This way I could leave the compressor in a fenced area and not have to cart the generator back and forth in my FEL. Does this sound feasible? I only plan on running the nailer for about 12 nails, then there will be setup time for the next 12 nails. I know the nailer "requires" more CFM, and I'm looking for a more powerful compressor but as always $$ are tight.

I'm not sure about the friction loss in air hose.
I've also got 50' of 10 gauge extension cord, and could easily get more air hose.

Comments? Suggestions?

/ How far can I stretch cord/hose for an air framing nailer? 200 feet? #2  
How far does your hammer reach?
But seriously, why a nailer for 12 nails?

/ How far can I stretch cord/hose for an air framing nailer? 200 feet? #3  
I would be concerned with the #12 cord, at 106' you are dropping about 5 volts or a little over 4%. It may not matter but it will stress the motor. I would opt for the #10 and more hose. I am currently driving 3" galvanized ring shank nails into 2x12 SYP with no issues with 100' of 3/8" air hose and an 8 gallon compressor with the Porter Cable framing nailer. Extension cords are cheap compared to the compressor.

/ How far can I stretch cord/hose for an air framing nailer? 200 feet? #4  
Coby, he is driving 12 nails at a time, not 12 nails total.

/ How far can I stretch cord/hose for an air framing nailer? 200 feet? #5  
With 10 gauge cord you might be alright, but I would rather plug the air compressor straight into the wall. Then run the air hose the full 200 feet. Have you considered the nailers that use gas canisters instead if compressed air? I have driven thousands of nails with a framing nailer using the same CFM rated compressor. As long as you give the compressor time to catch up it works fine. I have driven 11,000 hardwood floor nails with a compressed air assisted nailer using the same 4 CFM compressor without any problems.

/ How far can I stretch cord/hose for an air framing nailer? 200 feet? #6  
Cripes for all that investment of equipment I'd gone cordless! :D

/ How far can I stretch cord/hose for an air framing nailer? 200 feet? #7  
You can run 200' of air hose , Just set the regulator higher on the compressor . If I run 150' of hose , I set the regulator 10 to 15 .lbs higher , like 100 to 105 psi. to account for loss through line and fittings . I checked once with a liquid filled gauge at 100 feet of hose . Had Regulator set at 90 psi and gauge showed something around 82 to 84 psi. , ( guage is in 10 psi increments , with a line for the 5 mark , so it was somewere between 80 and 85 ? ) .

My pancake compressor would work on 12 gauge wire but only could be 1 section , thus I could only go a max of 100' .

Fred H.

/ How far can I stretch cord/hose for an air framing nailer? 200 feet? #8  
I would try your original plan first. A lot will depend on the diameter and rigidity of the air hose. If you find yourself lacking air pressure, get the compressor closer, Run the 10 gauge cord from the source first, then the smaller cord.
OR you can buy the Dewault 18v cordless nailer and not have to worry about anything!

/ How far can I stretch cord/hose for an air framing nailer? 200 feet? #9  
I regularly run 250 of air hose and have gone to 300 feet when needed. Air doesn't seem to care how far it has to go through the hose, or at least I've never had any issues with using my Hitachi air framing gun on projects.

Most of the time I prefer screws, but for production work, or siding and shingles, I prefer nails. When framing, I like to use nails that are 3 1/4 inch long because the tip had absolutely no holding power, and I want the most strength out of everything I build. Be careful of ring shanked nails. They have the reputation of holding better, but in reality, every time I've dome across them on decks and boat docks, they are usually 2 1/2 inch nails and they pop out real easy once the wood has dried out a bit. The only thing that fights me when taking it apart are screws that I can't unscrew. Then I destroy the wood getting it apart because screws hold so much better. Another advantage to screws is how easy it is to make a change, or adjust the fit by either using a temporary screw, or just keep tightening it until it's where you the board to be.

/ How far can I stretch cord/hose for an air framing nailer? 200 feet? #10  
Put the generator and compressor on a large wooden pallet and cart them both if possible on the rear three point lift at the same time to the site....