Wood shed ideas?

/ Wood shed ideas? #1  

Barnbuilder

Gold Member
Tractor
Bobcat A300, Kubota F3680, JCB 212S sold
My Dad asked me to build him a wood shed a couple years ago. Well I haven't made the time to do it. I thought I would ask for some ideas from you guys. I was thinking something around 24'x24', metal roof, wood or metal sides. I would like to be able to lock it up so he could leave his log splitter in it and pull is JD 2305 through it. So lets here your thoughts and or pictures.

Thanks Greg

/ Wood shed ideas? #2  
I went a lot cheaper then that. I keep my split wood under a small roof next to my house on concrete. I tripled up the siding on my house to keep bugs out with a case of caulking just to make sure!! What is important to me is being able to get it quickly and easily. I keep my log splitter in my storage area, under roof for most of the year, but while splitting wood, it sits out there with the wood and I either split it and toss it in my truck bed, or my Mule, then stack what I've split next to the house for minimal handling of the wood.

This is my most recent picture, I still want to split some more when it dries out here, but this is more then I will need to get through winter. I like to have plenty of extra just in case, and we also like to have fires out by the pond or our back porch just to enjoy looking at it burn.

12088429_10208025598380464_2046574870036221914_n.jpg

12107760_10208026778689971_1125295228236579665_n.jpg

/ Wood shed ideas? #3  
How about one of the metal carports? You can order them with sides & ends or enclose it yourself! HPIM1342.jpg Mine has the taller frame at extra cost, I enclosed it myself over time. 10' rolling door on the opposite end. Added an open woodshed to the right side (south facing) several years ago & a lean-to on the left side last year for more storage, doors on both ends.

/ Wood shed ideas? #4  
Eddie... looks like all your lengths are spot on...

I never get it this uniform when I cut.

Setting a concrete pad today for something similar today at me brothers...

/ Wood shed ideas? #5  
I grew up with fireplaces and we always cut our rounds about a foot and a half, then quartered them for burning. Or how ever many times it took to get it to the right size to build up a good coal bed. Then when I bought my first wood stove a few years ago, I learned real fast that shorter and smaller was a lot better. The stove doesn't care about coals as much as it cares about getting up to temperature and maintaining that temperature. I can start it quickly, get it going and then just add a few more pieces of wood during the evening to keep the house nice and warm. We never need more then one load to get through the night, and on really cold weekends, a load a day is plenty. I have a sack from ACE that works perfect for carrying it in and where it sits on the floor in front of the stove.

/ Wood shed ideas? #6  
Do you use the chain saw bar as a guide for length?

The only wood burner left/allowed in the family is my brother... they were going to junk the nice little wood stove in the family room and I convinced them to wait for Spring before yanking it... my sister in law was adamant about getting rid of it and now she loves it!

Puts out a lot of heat and is a very good unit... only restriction is that it is small and the wood has to be a lot shorter than fire place size...

My 81 year old Mom split a trailer full of oak at the place last Sunday... she loved to have a project and loves even more being helpful...

So with the new wood storage under the eves of the equipment shed they will have a good place to store...

/ Wood shed ideas? #7  
I went the opposite route for our woodsheds. We have a building inspector who wants a permit for anything over 100 sq ft. First thing needed on a permit application is a plot plan so.....
I build close to 100' sq ft, but one side open and a shed roof. This way I can drive the loader in, raise the bucket against the roof and carry the shed to a new location, making it a portable building....Each shed(I have three) holds about 3 full cords of wood...

/ Wood shed ideas? #8  
Clever idea... portable vs attached to the gound.

/ Wood shed ideas? #9  
I use the metal carports that are like $595 new, but i bought 2 for about $300 a piece off of craigslist on 2 different occasions. They make great wood sheds and equipment sheds and can be moved when i get ready to build my big pole shed for all my equipment in a couple years.

/ Wood shed ideas? #10  
I built mine, 8x24, like a pole barn. But I left the one long wall open, and the other three walls I "sided" with treated 2x6 lumber gapped approximately 1/2". So I basically nailed girts on the walls, top to bottom, with 1/2" gaps between them.
I has been great too. Strong walls to support wood stacked against them. Walls are 90% covered but have 10% gaps to allow the air to flow.