3pt attachment storagebshed ideas

/ 3pt attachment storagebshed ideas #1  

kevinwak

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520
I all,
I am thinking of building what is basically a horse or calf sheTer to house my 3pt attachments. It will have metal roof and walls to match my pole shed. I haven't yet decided if it will be skid build, or a small pole shed. There are pluses and minuses to both. I really want to do skid built, but don't like the fact that there will then be a 6X6 across the opening, making the tracker harder to drive against to unhook the attachments.

Attachments

• image-931070466.jpg
    image-931070466.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 324
  • image-320290286.jpg
    image-320290286.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 317
   / 3pt attachment storagebshed ideas #2  
Wow, I was just talking to my wife about the same thing. Mine will be pole built because of the size and access wanted. I am thinking 12' deep x 60' long x 10' high in front with a 4/12 slope

/ 3pt attachment storagebshed ideas #3  
Wow, I was just talking to my wife about the same thing. Mine will be pole built because of the size and access wanted. I am thinking 12' deep x 60' long x 10' high in front with a 4/12 slope

Which direction does the opening face? Does it matter?

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ 3pt attachment storagebshed ideas #4  
Mine will face North because the back of it is my garden area. Our sun travels from the SE to the SW as far as shade goes. I am sure others with more experience will say it does matter, but for me it is a point of access and placement. I only have 1 acre which to keep all the buildings on (including the house) so that I can have 19 acres of pasture. The more pasture I have, the more things with 4 legs and fur my wife can have.

/ 3pt attachment storagebshed ideas #5  
Growing up there were always a lot of open front sheds like that, often called simply tractor sheds or equipment sheds. Though on a somewhat larger scale than what you show.

If a 6x6 across the bottom front is too big, how about a 4x6, laid flat? Beef up the top braces a little to compensate.

To make it easier to drive over a sill, consider a block of wood or concrete on the inside and outside, in line with the wheel tracks. Either dig them in a little, or place ones of different sizes to form a bit of a stairstep. It doesn't take much to make it a lot easier to drive over something like that. Or you know, a couple shovels of coarse gravel.

/ 3pt attachment storagebshed ideas #6  
Why do you want to move it? I can see the advantage for a horse run in but not for equipment shed.

Have you considered pouring a concrete pad then stick building it. The concrete would make it possible to use platforms on wheels to make it easier to move your implements around for more efficient storage and easier to hook up. Not a big deal for backblade maybe but very helpful for heavier implements like rototiller and snowblower .

/ 3pt attachment storagebshed ideas #7  
Same question, what is the advantage to moving it? If you make it permanent, you can also add power and water to it down the road. Both are really nice to have. I would even consider running a pipe out there to have air from an air compressor. Another nice thing about building it permanently is that you can add to it. There is no way to know what you will have or want ten years from now, but having a building that you can make bigger will allow you to easily handle any of your future, unknown needs. Time and time again on here I've read that everyone needs more space, and they wish that they could add on to their barn, or they had built it bigger. A storage shed is just a small barn. Make it as good as you can, then you can focus on other things in the future

All my stuff sits outside and eventually when I build my big barn, I will have it all under roof. I will build a lean to off the back wall to store implements that will have a 16ft roof over it with gutters to stop water from splashing off of the roof and creating a big mud puddle. I did one before that was 12 feet on a barn I built for a client and it was a little tight. I also have a 12 foot storage area for my log splitter, lawn mower and Kawasaki Mule that is also too small. 4 more feet would make it just about perfect!!!

/ 3pt attachment storagebshed ideas #8  
One thing to consider is movable storage sheds usually don't increase property taxes here whereas a stick-built on a slab surely would.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ 3pt attachment storagebshed ideas
Why do you want to move it? I can see the advantage for a horse run in but not for equipment shed. .
the main reason I am thinking of making it movable it is the location I want to put it is technically on the road allow allowance. It is a very old country road and you can see how the edge of the yard curves about fifteen feet out in that area.

/ 3pt attachment storagebshed ideas #10  
Use a 4x6 flat for the front skid, as mentioned, then dump some gravel inside and outside the skid to make a level, mud-free area, with no skid bump to cross.

Bruce