Using a tractor for wireless Internet installation

/ Using a tractor for wireless Internet installation #21  
Would like to ask a few questions as I am facing the same issue in Olympia WA.

How did you structure the deal with your neighbor because this is proving to be difficult when the neighbors think something is not on the up and up...

Do you need power on both ends?

What about resetting the router?

/ Using a tractor for wireless Internet installation #22  
Not sure of the manufacturer of my crimper but I paid a healthy sum for it. Nope, my issue is the Cat 6 RJ-45 connectors. At least the version I had you had the CAT -6 wires are so thick that they have to be stacked, thus needing a divider that slides inside the RJ-45 connector. Could never get it all to come together. Maybe it was my hope to keep the exposed wires short that made it even more difficult. Will try again but in the end I am using wireless AC spec so I am not loosing any speed at the moment.
Here are the plugs that ishiboo and I are talking about: Platinum Tools 100010C EZ-RJ45 Cat 6+ Connectors, Clamshell, 50-Pieces - Crimpers - Amazon.com
Makes it MUCH easier to get all the wires in the right place.

Would like to ask a few questions as I am facing the same issue in Olympia WA.
How did you structure the deal with your neighbor because this is proving to be difficult when the neighbors think something is not on the up and up...
Do you need power on both ends?
What about resetting the router?
In my case, I use a pair of Ubiquity Nanostation M2 Loco access points running to a family member's house. They can be setup to automatically reboot if they can't connect to the one at the other end of the link. They need power somewhere at each end, but then power goes to the access point over the network cable. Mine are powered at the router at each end, then they have a 10' to 50' network cable running outside to the actual access point (which sits under the eaves).

Aaron Z

/ Using a tractor for wireless Internet installation #23  
Aczlan - thanks so much for the link and the info on your setup. I will check my crimpers but my question is will those connectors work in all crimpers (Mine are Cat 5 but they were not cheap). Just wondering if the "clamshell" crimp is specific to the crimper.

/ Using a tractor for wireless Internet installation #24  
Also, why are you using 2.4GHZ and not 5GHZ (I assume cost but maybe something technical i have not thought of).

/ Using a tractor for wireless Internet installation #25  
Also, why are you using 2.4GHZ and not 5GHZ (I assume cost but maybe something technical i have not thought of).
2.4ghz will push through leaves and such better than 5ghz. 900mhz will push through leaves even better, but IIRC its the slowest of the three.

Aaron Z

Last edited:
   / Using a tractor for wireless Internet installation #26  
Aczlan - thanks so much for the link and the info on your setup. I will check my crimpers but my question is will those connectors work in all crimpers (Mine are Cat 5 but they were not cheap). Just wondering if the "clamshell" crimp is specific to the crimper.

The only thing specific to their crimper is that they have a razor blade that chops off the excess wire which is sticking out of the connector.
You could do the same with a regular crimper and a razor knife.

Aaron Z

/ Using a tractor for wireless Internet installation #27  
Gonna order a box as I have a couple thousand feet of cat6 to play with (have no idea what I am going to do with it, but I got it). Thanks for the info on HZ. I thought that the higher hertz traveled better, but realize that everytime I upgrade I seem to loose signal strength...

/ Using a tractor for wireless Internet installation
Basically, as a general rule the higher the frequency, the less range you get BUT you get more speed and less interference. At the same time, there are different EIRP requirements for the bands and the technology changes on the newer AC stuff (2.4/5.8ghz) that starts to counter the range issues. In many metro areas, 900mhz is unusable with interference/noise and 2.4ghz is not far behind!

I haven't tried the Platinum connectors yet... I very rarely crimp RJ45, everything is punched down and patch cables. The only stuff I crimp is the outdoor stuff, where I use the Ubiquiti connectors with the spot for the shield drain for the foil-shielded cable. Platinum makes a shielded one but it has a weird external crimping area I don't really appreciate, instead of a nice spot to crimp the drain wire. People seem to like them though and I can definitely see how it would be a LOT easier to work with.

I drove by the endpoint and I see that there has been locate work done! They are still missing the natural gas, but once the locate is complete they only have 10 days to start construction before it's no good, so I'm excited to say it appears the install date has been bumped up from January to this month!!! So excited.

/ Using a tractor for wireless Internet installation
Basically, as a general rule the higher the frequency, the less range you get BUT you get more speed and less interference. At the same time, there are different EIRP requirements for the bands and the technology changes on the newer AC stuff (2.4/5.8ghz) that starts to counter the range issues. In many metro areas, 900mhz is unusable with interference/noise and 2.4ghz is not far behind!

I haven't tried the Platinum connectors yet... I very rarely crimp RJ45, everything is punched down and patch cables. The only stuff I crimp is the outdoor stuff, where I use the Ubiquiti connectors with the spot for the shield drain for the foil-shielded cable. Platinum makes a shielded one but it has a weird external crimping area I don't really appreciate, instead of a nice spot to crimp the drain wire. People seem to like them though and I can definitely see how it would be a LOT easier to work with.

I drove by the endpoint and I see that there has been locate work done! They are still missing the natural gas, but once the locate is complete they only have 10 days to start construction before it's no good, so I'm excited to say it appears the install date has been bumped up from January to this month!!! So excited.

An update - when I drove by and saw the locate work, I had no idea the work was actually finished already.

Went from about 2.5mbps (max) down, .5 mbps (max) up to a reliable 95mbit+ down and 7mbps up. I currently have a cable issue where I am only getting 10/100 to the antenna on my property... once the ground freezes and/or dries out, I'll replace the cable that feeds the radio. I am guessing I should see 100+ on the download side then.

A night and day difference which allows me to work so much more efficiently, plus I am able to have a live copy of our production database locally for testing purposes, incremental off-site backups, etc. Without my tractor I'm not sure I would have dreamed up the project but I am sure glad I did!

/ Using a tractor for wireless Internet installation #30  
Cool project, I moved into home that is only about 2miles to town, no cable for a mile, no dsl for about 3/4 mile. And Att doesn't offer dialup anymore...... So dish satellite was best choice. OK, but limited use. I end up using phone data for a lot also.