Using a tractor for wireless Internet installation

/ Using a tractor for wireless Internet installation #1  

ishiboo

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX6010HSTC, Cat 279c
An unusual project for a tractor I'm sure, but I couldn't live without it!

I've lived at the same property now for 6+ years. I got it for a steal, so despite wanting a bunch of changes, I haven't been able to leave. One of the main issues though is that I work from home, and my Internet is HORRIBLE. We also use Netflix/Hulu/Prime a lot. The only option is AT&T DSL... 1.5mb down, .5 up. One cable provider is 1 mile to the west, another is nearly a mile to the east - and only on the opposite side of the road, plus the opposite side of the tracks from me. The only place that will service me is AT&T with fiber, for $600/month for a 10mb connection. So I found a solution. Install cable at my neighbors barn, and shoot it wirelessly to my property. Unfortunately, there was a slight elevation change as well as a very active train track in the middle, where trains are often parked... leading me to need a big pole to put it on. My barn is 45' tall but has no line-of-sight, so the pole will have to be in the field.

Next summer I will relocate it and either put it on a permanent foundation, or replace it with a new Rohn tower... but I have limited time this winter and my budget for the project is already blown. So I found a 35' steel light pole for $50! Getting it home was a challenge. I posted an ad on Craigslist, hoping someone with a ladder rack who wanted to make a quick buck would respond. I had one person who wanted to strap it into the trunk of their car and drive with their hazards on, another who wanted to have it stick out from the bed of his truck. I couldn't believe how stupid people were. In the end, I borrowed a 32' trailer and got it myself.

IMG_4618.png
IMG_4619.JPG

Testing to see if the link will work. One end on my pallet forks, one on a ladder in the back of my truck :)

IMG_4458.JPG
IMG_4460.JPG
IMG_4462.JPG

It works! With no fine tuning, just how I guessed they should be aimed, and poor line of sight due to the low height, I got over 320 megabits! With a 100 down/7 up business connection on one end, it's more than enough. Love the Ubiquiti products.

So, time to mount the pole. I found some 4x3x3/16 tube laying around, as well as some 1/2" bar. Made a rough frame for it. Pounded four 8'x5" pressure treated posts in with the post pounder, leveled and cut the tops off. Mounted the frame with four 1/2"x12" lag screws. Standing the pole up was a challenge - I set the end of it on the metal frame I had built and chained it on. On the other end, I set the pole on top of the forks, and lifted it up. I had a chain around the pole to keep it between the forks. Continued walking forward until the pole was nearly vertical. Now, I used two ratchet straps to strap it firmly to the forks so I could lift it completely off the ground with the tractor. Set it down, bolted it up... good to go! This was pretty scary as it's a huge piece of steel capable of exerting a lot of leverage, so despite only weighing 300-400 lbs it was a scary prospect.

IMG_4625.JPG
IMG_4630.JPG

Now, I have to trench in the Cat6 direct burial and pound in a ground rod and I'll be good to go on my end. On the opposite end, it's as simple as mounting it to a wood barn and I'll be good to go. Time for the painful process of waiting for the install from the cable company!

/ Using a tractor for wireless Internet installation #2  
Let me ask this: When the wind blows against that 35 foot pole, and its antenna load, are those 4 lag bolts screwed into the end grain of that wood going to hold? Do you plan on any guy wires? That seems like a lot of overturning moment force there.

/ Using a tractor for wireless Internet installation #3  
Looks like a nice setup.
A concrete pad may be a little safer for securing the pole.

How long is your run with the CAT wire?

/ Using a tractor for wireless Internet installation
Let me ask this: When the wind blows against that 35 foot pole, and its antenna load, are those 4 lag bolts screwed into the end grain of that wood going to hold? Do you plan on any guy wires? That seems like a lot of overturning moment force there.

I'm not too concerned about that. The steel frame is set up to lower the torque on the ends, and the lag bolts are 12" long. Should be good in all but the worst wind conditions. No guy wires. If I get concerned, I will add steel tabs to the frame which allow me to bolt it to the sides of the posts. Despite being somewhat noodle-like given its length, the post moves around very little in the wind.

Looks like a nice setup.
A concrete pad may be a little safer for securing the pole.

How long is your run with the CAT wire?

Definitely agree with you, this is temporary to make sure everything works 110% before I pour a permanent foundation. Will require a 24" auger to set a 24" sonotube 5-6' deep or similar, which I don't have. As I said "Next summer I will relocate it and either put it on a permanent foundation, or replace it with a new Rohn tower... but I have limited time this winter and my budget for the project is already blown."

Cat6 run is about 250' end-to-end, including the 35' up the pole, and a small coil of wire at the house. Patch cable adds 7'. Once it is all set/placed it will be a bit shorter than that.

/ Using a tractor for wireless Internet installation #5  
Looks like you should be good to go!!!
If your location works out I'd just pour the footing next year and use the pole you have. Really don't think you need to spend a couple grand on a Rohn.

/ Using a tractor for wireless Internet installation #6  
I think K0ua made a good point. The wind pushing and twisting on that 35' rudder will create an amazing amount of torque. I hope it works for you but I think the odds are slanted in favor of the wind, verses a 5" piece of wood.

/ Using a tractor for wireless Internet installation #7  
So what all products did you end up using to build this wireless system? Looking at their site one can go way overboard on setting this up, looking at the smaller 5ghz stuff has me thinking :)

/ Using a tractor for wireless Internet installation
So what all products did you end up using to build this wireless system? Looking at their site one can go way overboard on setting this up, looking at the smaller 5ghz stuff has me thinking :)

Pretty simple, one NBE‑5AC‑19 on each end.

The install also uses Ubiquiti mounting brackets, ToughCable and associated RJ45 connectors, and Ubiquiti surge protectors. The future plan is to switch a lot of my gear over to Ubiquiti, there will be a 24-port POE switch as well as an EdgeRouter. I already have an UAP-AC-PRO access point on order to replace my current access point.

/ Using a tractor for wireless Internet installation #9  
Cool project!

Where I live, there is no DSL nor cable anywhere near enough to do what you have done.

However, there are a few line-of-sight wireless ISP's that have made a business out of serving customers like me using the same technology that you are using. At least one of the ISP's started as a few neighbors cooperating so they could have Internet other than dialup. Back then, they were using wifi to connect house-to-house.

The ISP I'm on now uses Ubiquity wireless equipment, as do I for my router and wifi AP. Ubiquity can't be beat for quality at a reasonable price.

One thought with respect to your project... I have a cat5 run between my house and barn. Despite grounded surge protectors at both ends, I've had equipment on that run fried due to lightning. (The surge protectors themselves were also fried.) These were not direct hits on my house, barn, or anything in-between; rather, they were near enough hits to cause a large potential across the cable.

I'd like to switch out the cat5 with fiber someday, which would put an end to my lightning troubles. Something to think about if you have frequent thunderstorms.

/ Using a tractor for wireless Internet installation #10  
I'd like to switch out the cat5 with fiber someday, which would put an end to my lightning troubles. Something to think about if you have frequent thunderstorms.

Yep. Fiber is hard to beat to solve lightning problems.. A couple of things to remember, Not all locations have the same incidence or intensity of lightning. The next thing to remember is anytime you put copper into the ground, you have a lightning problem that needs to solved. Not all lightning protection devices are equal. Some are absolutely worthless. Some are so-so, and some (Transtector/Polyphasor) are the best. Just sayin.