Electrical question

/ Electrical question #1  

HCJtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240
I'm looking at a home to purchase. One has an existing garage with a fairly new 100 amp sub panel (the main breaker is 100 amp so I assume my terminology is correct). I want to use this as a workshop, and need power to a 220 V table saw, a 220V jointer and I would like an outlet for my welder. Then of course regular overhead lighting and 110 outlets. I believe all I need to do is install the proper outlets and appropriate breakers to supply these tools. Am I correct in the belief that this 100 amp panel sufficient for a small homeowner shop?
Of course none of these tools will operate simultaneously.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Electrical question #2  
If your panel has a 100 amp 2 pole main breaker then it should be a normal 220 volt service. It might be worth checking that with a meter to be sure you have two legs that are 120 volts to the common and 240 volts leg to leg.

You can install whatever breakers you need for the branch circuits as long as you insure that the wiring is the proper size for the breaker that is installed. You could theoretically install a half dozen 50 amp breakers if you wanted to, but if you draw more than 100 amps it would trip the main breaker.

/ Electrical question
Thanks. That's what I thought. When I close on this house I can check the voltage and wiring coming into the panel to be sure. But from what I can see, there is a 100 amp main and a modern panel with lots of space, so looks like I'm good to go.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Electrical question #4  
One thing you might want to check is what size breaker in the house is feeding the garage.. I have seen 30a feeders going to several outbuilding's with a 100a main breaker panel on the other end..

/ Electrical question #5  
One thing you might want to check is what size breaker in the house is feeding the garage.. I have seen 30a feeders going to several outbuilding's with a 100a main breaker panel on the other end..

Ditto. and make sure there is a proper ground for that 100 amp panel.

/ Electrical question #6  
If your panel has a 100 amp 2 pole main breaker then it should be a normal 220 volt service. It might be worth checking that with a meter to be sure you have two legs that are 120 volts to the common and 240 volts leg to leg.

You can install whatever breakers you need for the branch circuits as long as you insure that the wiring is the proper size for the breaker that is installed. You could theoretically install a half dozen 50 amp breakers if you wanted to, but if you draw more than 100 amps it would trip the main breaker.

Exactly what I was thinking. Great reply!!!

/ Electrical question #7  
Put in separate 220 box powered by the main panel. Then run all 220 lines from the separate box? Keeps the main box cleaner with a little more breaker protection. Codes???

/ Electrical question #8  
Check your local code for size of breaker in a sub panel. Our code here is that you can install sub panels with a breaker not bigger than 70% the size of the main.
I have a 60 Amp Sub Panel in my shop with 1500 watt & 4500 watt heater, 5 HP RPC to run a mill and drill press with 3 phase, 3HP Lathe, a Lincoln welder, table saw, electric shop goodies.
I tripped the breaker once while burning a few sticks of 1/4" Arctec at maximum DC amp output of the welder and the heaters on.
I remember the inspector commenting on shops built around our area when asking him if 60 amp was enough, recall him saying something like, "people build shops around here and put 200 amp panels in them, you will never use that"

/ Electrical question #9  
I made this post last night, but don't see it now......

The breaker feeding the panel may be smaller than 100A. Just because the panel has a 100A main, it could be less capacity.

/ Electrical question #10  
Best to have a pro look at the panel. Supposed electricians take some time or $$$ shortcuts and sometimes just don't know any better. If this was a home owner installed panel, caution is advised .