How Not to Transplant a Tree

/ How Not to Transplant a Tree #1  

OkieG

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 855 (24hp/19@PTO)
There's a nice Oak growing where a work shop will soon be built. The early bloomers are already budding and leafing out, but the oaks seem to always be a couple weeks behind.

Today was "save the oak day". Unfortunately for the oak, I bit off more than I could chew.

Here's a pic of the early bloomers in the front yard.

OkieG

Attachments

• 395597-EarlyBloomers.jpg
    395597-EarlyBloomers.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,054
   / How Not to Transplant a Tree
This pic is of the oak, after digging a trench around it. No turning back now. I tried to chop all surface roots with an axe before digging. So far so good.

OkieG

Attachments

• 395602-Oak&Tractor.jpg
    395602-Oak&Tractor.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 987
Here's a better shot of the "moat". It's 3-4' deep. The oak is growing on a sidehill. Manuevering the backhoe around was an experience.

OkieG

Attachments

• 395604-OakTrench.jpg
    395604-OakTrench.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 802
This is where the fun really began. The tractor wouldn't budge the tree. Thank goodness for the "diesel" in the driveway.

OkieG

Attachments

• 395605-OakTruck.jpg
    395605-OakTruck.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 904
Another view of tipping the tree. Even though the trench was 3-4' deep, the roots only seemed to go down a foot and a half or so. When the truck finally started the tree tipping, just the 18" of roots came with it. No tap root.

OkieG

Attachments

• 395609-OakTipping.jpg
    395609-OakTipping.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 793
Up to this point, the tree and roots were in pretty good shape. But, the root ball with dirt was way too heavy to pick up, and the truck and tractor together couldn't pull the tree out to the yard. In retrospect, maybe not digging a trench along the side where the tree was to be pulled would have allowed it to pop up onto the lawn. Oh well, it was stuck in the hole.

After a bunch of dirt removal (and root damage), two little tractors were able to roll the roots out of the hole.

OkieG

Attachments

• 395614-OakRolling.jpg
    395614-OakRolling.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 808
Here's another view of getting down in the trenches, trying to roll the roots out of the hole. It worked, but the survivability of the oak seemed even more gloomy to me, after all the surgery on the roots.

Using both little tractors, with bucket forks, we were able to move the oak to it's potential new home across the yard. It was also a two tractor job to try to get the tree to stand up, but we couldn't get the roots to fit happily in their new home. Even with attempts at padding the trunk, the bark was crushed more with every manuever. If the tree has to be "fitted" into hole with a couple of trial fits, there may be no bark left. Very awkward.

Anyway, the poor oak is laying on the ground tonight, looking more and more like firewood. Should have taken another picture of it laying there, but I was too frustrated at the time.

The tree is not all that big, but too much for the combination of my tractor and my brain. Probably shouldn't have tried this project, but now I'm out of ideas.

OkieG

Attachments

• 395620-OakRolling2.jpg
    395620-OakRolling2.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 881
   / How Not to Transplant a Tree #8  
That is a big tree to try and transplant without a tree spade.

Suggest you prune it back drastically while it's still on the ground and then try to set it up in a larger hole. Lots of water and more water and use some stakes and rope to hold it up.

Egon

/ How Not to Transplant a Tree #9  
Generally a tree uses about as much root as it has branches. Would be a chore to nurse that back to a self-supporting root system. With the trunk bark damage, probably a lost cause at this point. A double-trunk like that just causes rot & decay & 1/2 will blow down in 25 years anyhow, so wasn't much of a tree to try & save anyhow, you really didn't lose much.

--->Paul

/ How Not to Transplant a Tree #10  
Yeah, that's a pretty big tree for compact tractors. An episode of This Old House showed transplanting one even bigger using your method. They trenched all the way around it and even under quite a bit. Then burlap and twine to hold it all together. Dug out a ramp to get into the hole and a similar hole where the tree was going. The key for them was a large front loader. Drove down the ramp, put the bucket under the root ball and chained the root ball to the bucket. Popped it out and drove away with it.

The concept would work with a CUT but on a MUCH smaller tree /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif