Garage door header ???

/ Garage door header ??? #21  
Well I built a garage here last year and I have a 16' door opening trusses running the same way as his and I was required to use a 4x12 minimum for the header on mine.

/ Garage door header ??? #22  
Well I built a garage here last year and I have a 16' door opening trusses running the same way as his and I was required to use a 4x12 minimum for the header on mine.

Most of us are recommending just that. A double 2x12 with a 1/2" plywood sandwiched in between the boards.

/ Garage door header ??? #23  
Anyone ,not versed in construction spending serious money on a building project, should have a set of approved plans. Also be sure to hire a reputable contractor with a building license. Poking around the internet is a great way to expand your ideas but I would be very cautious with free advise. There are a lot of home handymen, do it yourselfers, that throw out a lot of misinformation. Also be aware that different parts of the country require different building practices. Snow loads, freeze depths, ect. So what some internet expert is telling you may simply not apply in your area.
If you do hire a contractor please don't question his building practices after some internet hack tells you that your contractor is not building it correctly. Hire someone you fell comfortable with and let him do his job.

/ Garage door header ??? #24  
Anyone ,not versed in construction spending serious money on a building project, should have a set of approved plans. Also be sure to hire a reputable contractor with a building license. Poking around the internet is a great way to expand your ideas but I would be very cautious with free advise. There are a lot of home handymen, do it yourselfers, that throw out a lot of misinformation. Also be aware that different parts of the country require different building practices. Snow loads, freeze depths, ect. So what some internet expert is telling you may simply not apply in your area.
If you do hire a contractor please don't question his building practices after some internet hack tells you that your contractor is not building it correctly. Hire someone you fell comfortable with and let him do his job.

True, except for questioning what your contractor is doing. I strongly suggest to anybody that hires somebody, to always question what they are doing. Posting pictures on here has shown over and over again that even when the member on here says that they have hired the best guy in their area, that things are done wrong.

Most people do not realize that a great contractor is really great at organizing and getting others to show up and do the work. He doesn't swing a hammer or climb a ladder. He probably never even shows up at the job site. There is a saying that great builders make lousy businessmen because they only know how to build, not run crews, but a great businessman without any knowledge of building can be a great contractor because he knows people and how to get them to do the job.

/ Garage door header ??? #25  
Oh yeah, I also like questions. I encourage my clients to ask questions and do research. My biggest challenge is figuring out what they want, and even after a job starts, I sometimes find out that I'm doing it wrong because I didn't fully understand every little detail. On a recent shower, my client wanted a window in the wall under the shower head to let more light into the shower. I figured it would be around 2x2, but when I framed it in for that, found out I was way off. She wanted it maxed out to the full width of the wall, which ended up being 42 inches wide and 30 inches tall. I didn't have a clue, but thankfully my client wasn't afraid to tell me what I was doing wrong, or what she wanted.

/ Garage door header ??? #26  
Anyone ,not versed in construction spending serious money on a building project, should have a set of approved plans. Also be sure to hire a reputable contractor with a building license. Poking around the internet is a great way to expand your ideas but I would be very cautious with free advise. There are a lot of home handymen, do it yourselfers, that throw out a lot of misinformation. Also be aware that different parts of the country require different building practices. Snow loads, freeze depths, ect. So what some internet expert is telling you may simply not apply in your area. If you do hire a contractor please don't question his building practices after some internet hack tells you that your contractor is not building it correctly. Hire someone you fell comfortable with and let him do his job.

I don't give any advise on subjects that I am not well versed in. The advise given is to point the OP in the right direction. In this case he was inferring that he was going to tackle the project himself and was asking for suggestions on a simple gable end header question. Not the supporting girder on a two story home with a live load of 60lbs per foot etc. etc. I have been building structures for 30+ years and have owned my own contracting business for 20yrs. In the end he doesn't have to listen to any of us.

As a contractor, I never shied away from a customer with questions about what was going on during his project. I never had a complaint filed, subject of a lawsuit or was denied payment. I believe this is because of good communication between the contractor and customer.

/ Garage door header ??? #27  
Most of us are recommending just that. A double 2x12 with a 1/2" plywood sandwiched in between the boards.

Agreed...My 16' door is on the gable end too but I like the extra strength for the center bearing of my spring and the garage door opener track..Not that they cause much deflection but it's kinda cheap peace of mind in my opinion.

/ Garage door header ???
Thanks everyone.
And please keep sharing information. It IS the individual's responsibility whether they use it or not. Forums have been a wealth of knowledge for me due to exposure to a question or comment to a bunch of like minded people. To me, this is far better than asking a local contractor/expert who may have a vested interest.
Okay off my soapbox.
Looks like 2 each 2x12s with a 1/2 plywood for me.
I do see how the "angle iron" design would work though and appreciate the information. Just because we always do something tried and true doesn't mean something better hasn't been invented yet. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454408680.197030.jpg

/ Garage door header ??? #29  
Hey guys, I wasn't directing my statement of internet contractor hacks at anyone personally. It was a blanket statement to the op just to be aware of all the wrong information posted on the internet by so called experts.
Also my post of questioning your contractor was understood. By all means ask your contractor questions, ask him thousands of questions. My post was referring to hiring a contractor and then checking on his work by going to the internet and asking the "experts". Then confronting your hired contractor with conflicting answers to your question. These so called internet experts have no vested interest in your project. The contractor you hired has his reputation on the line every job he does. A good contractor will welcome questions.

/ Garage door header ??? #30  
Why not check and see what the local building codes say you can do. Thats a good first place to start.