F250 motor swap, 7.3 diesel

/ F250 motor swap, 7.3 diesel #1  

dieselcrawler

Elite Member
Tractor
2013 JD 3005 2001 Kubota BX1800
As this is a bit of a project for me, as in, as I have time, a few minutes here and an hour there... just like my full ROPS/FOPS cage was.

The motor in my early '99 F250 superduty truck took a dump on me last spring. At that time, I was changing jobs money was tight, a free time was only a dream. I simply made a few minor repairs to my dually and have been driving it ever since. But with tax return money, I ordered the parts needed, and will start this project this weekend.

First up is a turbo rebuild, and oil cooler rebuild. Stay tuned for further details!

/ F250 motor swap, 7.3 diesel #2  
Tagging along, I love a good engine rebuild. Do you know what crapped it on the old one?

I am hoping I can go a lot longer before either of my 7.3 IDI's need a rebuild.

/ F250 motor swap, 7.3 diesel #3  
Tagging also. I love watching Greg spend money and "cobble" stuff together. :D

/ F250 motor swap, 7.3 diesel #5  
Greg's a Craftsman, this will be an easy project for him, once he finds the time. Worst part is we aren't neighbors so we can't go "supervise". :)

/ F250 motor swap, 7.3 diesel
Richard, if we were neighbors, I'd be dragging my junk to your shop to work on it... it looks alot less cramped than my barn, I can't even open the doors all the way once I pull the truck inside, and the tractor will have to live outside while it happens!

And you have a cool welding table...

As to what happened, I think rings blew or a piston cracked on one cylinder. I'm getting real bad pulsating blow-by. The donor motor is one I pulled out of an '03 about a year ago, I checked blow-by then, was ok. Has 378k miles on it...

/ F250 motor swap, 7.3 diesel #7  
My neighbor's son just rebuilt the turbo on his 7.3. A LOT cheaper than a new turbo.

/ F250 motor swap, 7.3 diesel #8  
Richard, if we were neighbors, I'd be dragging my junk to your shop to work on it... it looks alot less cramped than my barn, I can't even open the doors all the way once I pull the truck inside, and the tractor will have to live outside while it happens!

And you have a cool welding table...

As to what happened, I think rings blew or a piston cracked on one cylinder. I'm getting real bad pulsating blow-by. The donor motor is one I pulled out of an '03 about a year ago, I checked blow-by then, was ok. Has 378k miles on it...

I thought 2003's came out with the 6.0

/ F250 motor swap, 7.3 diesel #9  
I thought 2003's came out with the 6.0
Half way through the year they started switching over. I see alot of 2003 7.3 but just saw a 2003 6.0 on craigslist the other day

/ F250 motor swap, 7.3 diesel #10  
Half way through the year they started switching over. I see alot of 2003 7.3 but just saw a 2003 6.0 on craigslist the other day

Nice, never knew that,, I own a 1997 4x4 F350/ 7.3...almost mint shape, only problem is a bad oil pan, will be pulling engine this summer to replace it.