Crusher run under pole barn

/ Crusher run under pole barn #11  
Make sure you water it good before you compact it. It will lock it up great. Asphalt grindings will also work.

/ Crusher run under pole barn
Are the asphalt grindings typically any cheaper?

/ Crusher run under pole barn #13  
Here the asphalt grindings are sometimes more than crusher run and sometimes free. Just depends on the timing and who you run into. Ed

/ Crusher run under pole barn #14  
Wow, $42/ ton....that sucks.

Stone is called different things in different areas of the country.

Crusher run.......x/y to dust.......x/y minus......all pretty much the same thing. Its anything that will fall through a given screen. IE: 3/4 to dust or 3/4 minus is any and all stones and dust that will fall through a 3/4" screen. Meaning the largest stone will be 3/4" sized. Up here we call this 3/4 minus 411's. We also have 304's, which is 1-1/2" down to dust, or 1-1/2 minus. A little better for a base over dirt IMO with the larger stones but still lots of dust that let it pack well. The smaller 411's (3/4 minus) is good for a a top coat or a mid coat over larger 1's and 2's (~3-4" stuff) to help lock them in. Then can top coat with nominal size gravel.

Just got two loads of the 304's ast week. ~21 ton each load. $16.50/ton. And thats limestone BTW

Best advice is to call around. Up here, the highest price you will pay is from the quarry and having them deliver. Contact some of the larger independent haulers in your area and price shop. If I were to have national lime and stone (local quarry up here) haul me loads of 304's, its $21-$22/ton. If I go pick it up, its $~16-$17/ton. If I have a contractor account with them, I can pick it up for $11-$12/ton, but that requires doing a certain amount of business with them each year.

So in a nutshell, if you call them and inquire on price, it sounds like a good deal getting them to deliver it the ~35 miles for $5/ton. But thats off their normal price. Call some locals in your area and price shop. Only thing to compare is limestone vs gravel. Pretty simple. They all haul the same stuff.

/ Crusher run under pole barn #15  
Then use a few sheets of water resistant plywood over the top in an area you want to crawl around under equipment you are repairing.

/ Crusher run under pole barn #16  
Looking for advice for putting crusher run under my 30x60 pole barn I use for equipment storage. Right now I only have about 4" clearance on my ROPS right now so I need to remove dirt first. For this particular application can I simply remove 6" of soil then add back 4" of crusher run?

No reason why not. Here's my 20 x 28 ft equipment shed with a gravel floor. Works fine. Low maintenance.

Equip shed finished-1 (Medium).JPG

Good luck

/ Crusher run under pole barn #17  
I did it once and found that the larger rocks have a way of working their way out and become something to trip over. I used regular road base rock when I did mine. If I was to do it again, I would be sure to find a smaller sized rock.

/ Crusher run under pole barn #18  
The only downside to crusher run inside a building is that you should plan on compacting it with a vibrating plate, otherwise it will never set up evenly. If you don't compact it uniformly, you'll get ruts where you travel and loose spots everywhere else. It's not like outdoors where you can just roll over it with tractor tires in any old pattern to pack it down

I am strongly considering #8 gravel for the inside of an addition I plan to tack onto my barn. It will self-compact, and since it's crushed and jagged, it stays together fairly well. The main benefit is that you spread it down and that's the end of the job. Still debating between that and crusher run.

/ Crusher run under pole barn #19  
The smaller dual drum vibratory do would well for the compacting. Easier to handle than the plate ones and do a better job.

/ Crusher run under pole barn #20  
Also give thought to using geo-fabric before dropping the crusher run. Keeps the stone in place rather than finding its' way through the dirt heading "down".