Offroad S10

/ Offroad S10 #1  

NS Gearhead

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere X350
Even before I got rid of my jeep, I've been a fan of S10s. Especially reg cabs. So, I picked one up.

First step was to take the box off (to try and get a couple bucks out of it), then test her out offroad!

You can see the line where I cut the frame off the next day

She did great! Already better then the Tracker was. Oh, she's 4.3TBI, 700R4, 231. :)

Not 100% sure what the plan is... going to kind of roll with whatever i can find for cheap. I've got a line on an Explorer 8.8 so fingers crossed for that. I also have a Dana 30 sitting behind the shed that would be a good fit for the front.

The short list;
-adjust shifter (doesn't quite go into park)
-replace leaking fuel line
-patch Y pipe
-pass door doesn't open from outside
-driver's window opens but falls sideways. LOL
-burn in 2X4X1/4" rear bumper/crossmember/hitch
-Build & install behind cab hoop with "X" and a pair of pipes from it to the rear most part of the frame
-build small deck/ basket on the rest of the frame

Of course I want dual solid axles, weld the rear spiders, and re-gear them. 33" tires is the goal. If I get brave I may dove the nose and go full exo cage. :)

/ Offroad S10 #2  
I loved your last thread on the tracker, so looking forward to this one!

/ Offroad S10 #3  
Looks like a fun project, and i too enjoyed the tracker build.

/ Offroad S10 #4  
I used to have an S10 . Mine was standard shift with the 4.3.

I always wanted to take the bed off and install an RV 5th wheel hitch and the "dually kit" they used to sell for these things. Wanted to get a trailer made to work out of that would make the whole rig look lie a mini-semi.

Never got around to it before the truck died and I moved on.

/ Offroad S10

The tires I hope to run. Funny story; I got them free and tried selling them as spares. Sold one, and now I'm one shy of 4. Trying to find another. I guess worst case I'll buy a new one

They were too wore to pass inspection, but the good old groover gave them some new life

Worked last time with the Tracker, so why re-invent the wheel? The receiver and pin were $35, and 4' of 2x4x1/4" was $37

I could have welded it in, but it started raining and I didn't want to leave it bare steel outside, or prime and have it get rained on... so it'll get burned in another day. I may add some triangle gussets just in case I get a hard tug from an angle. I'm not worried about bending the 2x4.

Picked this up the other day for $50. Buddy threw in some front tow hooks for free because I didn't try to dicker him down on the box! :) I'll have to make an angle iron "tray" with some spacers off the frame, but it should be a nice thing to have, especially with it being a reg cab.

So that's it for today. I've got a line on an 8.8 rear axle for $125 missing the carrier, ring and pinion. Lucky for me, my buddy's got the carrier with 4.10s he'll sell me for $20. Nice setup for $145. I'd likely run a D30 or 44 in the front to match. I've also got a line on a pair of Landcruiser axles for $400. The front axle's the wrong side drop, but I'm not afraid to cut it up and switch sides. I need to learn more about them, but they sound equivalent to one tons, but narrow. Very attractive especially at that price.

/ Offroad S10 #7  
That's a nice project with a lot of protentual and endless options. My thing is build/raced mud trucks, throw in some street racing and I'm just a hot rod gear head myself. I have a thread started on my recent build "4x4 Truck Build" if you haven't seen it. I need to update it sometime soon.

The Dana 44 would be a good choice for the front. It would be nice if you could find a Ford 9" for the rear that fit your budget. Even stock, they will take a lot of a punishment. You could go all out with a set of Dana 60's or a set of 2 1/2 ton rockwell's ..... LOL

I would go ahead with the ex cage. One of my favorite parts of any build is building the roll cage. Any plans to upgrade to a V8? Maybe a stroker.

/ Offroad S10 #8  
I like that body style s-10. I have an '88 ext cab, 2.8 v6, 5spd. It's been parked for a few years, needs a clutch.

/ Offroad S10
That's a nice project with a lot of protentual and endless options. My thing is build/raced mud trucks, throw in some street racing and I'm just a hot rod gear head myself. I have a thread started on my recent build "4x4 Truck Build" if you haven't seen it. I need to update it sometime soon.

The Dana 44 would be a good choice for the front. It would be nice if you could find a Ford 9" for the rear that fit your budget. Even stock, they will take a lot of a punishment. You could go all out with a set of Dana 60's or a set of 2 1/2 ton rockwell's ..... LOL

I would go ahead with the ex cage. One of my favorite parts of any build is building the roll cage. Any plans to upgrade to a V8? Maybe a stroker.

LOL, yeah it would be easy to get carried away. I actually want to keep it small, because most of the trails I plan to use it on are atv trails. Biggest I would go for tires would be 36". I've got some Iroks. They'd probably give a nice smooth ride as they're nice n squishy... but they'd need one ton gear. The only thing I'd do to the engine would be a spicy rebuild. I went the V8 swap route with the jeep and I'm not a fan....

/ Offroad S10 #10  
LOL, yeah it would be easy to get carried away. I actually want to keep it small, because most of the trails I plan to use it on are atv trails. Biggest I would go for tires would be 36". I've got some Iroks. They'd probably give a nice smooth ride as they're nice n squishy... but they'd need one ton gear. The only thing I'd do to the engine would be a spicy rebuild. I went the V8 swap route with the jeep and I'm not a fan....

Just wondering why you think 36" swampers need one ton axles? Or am I misunderstanding you.

Did you have problems with your V8 swap?