what type of chain hook?

/ what type of chain hook? #1  

RedTailHawk

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430
Found these old chains in my barn. Anyone know the name or purpose for this type of hook?

IMG_0682.JPG

/ what type of chain hook? #2  
Apparently they are to be driven into wood. Why one would trust such a connection is the mystery - seems they should have a backward angle on the hook tang. ... ?Light loading?

/ what type of chain hook? #4  
Old time logging hook, I found one in our barn when we bought our farm. Pound them into a log with a maul/axe.

History channel show 'Mountain Men' Estace used them in a few episodes, skidding logs with his horse.

/ what type of chain hook? #5  
They are supposed to be driven into a log, but why baffles me. It seems hooking a chain around the log would be way easier, and wouldn't damage any lumber.

/ what type of chain hook? #6  
They are supposed to be driven into a log, but why baffles me. It seems hooking a chain around the log would be way easier, and wouldn't damage any lumber.
I just bought some chokers cause I got tired of wood slipping out, when checking it with regular hooks.

If you are skidding logs for firewood, you really don't care about a hole in the wood.

/ what type of chain hook? #7  
I just bought some chokers cause I got tired of wood slipping out, when checking it with regular hooks.

If you are skidding logs for firewood, you really don't care about a hole in the wood.

+1. Slap them in with a few blows from an axe and a single blow to the side will pop the hook out. Dates back to the days of animal traction.

/ what type of chain hook? #8  
They work good still.... Ever try getting a chain around a log in brush or deep mud? They work fast and never realy get too deep in the wood. Big time saver, the old guys had lots of good tricks back then, work was HARD so anything to make is faster and easier

/ what type of chain hook? #9  
I tore up both my cable chokers today, as I drug a few logs on pavement. Might have to try that old hook in the barn now...