chainsaw

/ chainsaw #1  

merlebo02

Tractor
JD or Kubota
headed to buy a chainsaw in the morning to start cutting some bigger trees on my property.. I currently own a stihl 21T which is a very small light saw.. I am looking at the Stihl MS 311 and MS 391..

MS 311 has 3.1 kW (59 cc) engine power for $479.95

MS 391 has 3.3 kW (64.1 cc) engine power for $549.95

Both saws can be bought with a 16-20 inch bar, which would I benefit the most from?? I am thinking the 20 in bar??

Is the bigger saw worth $100 more? Will I miss 0.2 kW of engine power?? Need some input from you saw guys!!

Thanks a bunch!!!

/ chainsaw #2  
I doubt you will notice the power difference when using up to a 20 inch bar. The difference would be more noticeable in the 24-28 range. I would purchase the saw that is the most comfortable to carry. Weight can be a big factor when you need to carry it any distance as well as when cutting smaller limbs and have to deal with the weight.

/ chainsaw #3  
How large are larger trees? I'd want a bigger saw for large trees. My 372 XP is quite a bit more powerful than either of those saws and I'd like more power over about 24" inches. Of course I don't cut 24" plus very often, and wouldn't want to carry around a bigger saw for the rest of the time.

/ chainsaw #4  
How much do you plan to use this saw? If a lot you'd be happier if you spent some more money and got a pro saw. My 372xp produces 5.5 hp and weighs 13.8 pounds VS the 391 which produces 4.5 hp and weighs 14.1 pounds.

/ chainsaw
I have a small light saw for cutting up brush but looking for something just to cut the trunks of larger trees. Not really sure what large is lol..I guess 24 inches and larger...

/ chainsaw #6  
I have been running a Stihl 029 but am shopping for more capacity. A friend recently purched a MS391 with a 20" bar and graciously offered to let me test drive it over the weekend.
Great saw and only slightly heavier than the 029.
Before I pull the buy trigger however I'm going to kick the tires on the 461 (I think that #is correct) but then the price points start to get crazy and potentially more than a retired senior guy should spend.
B. John

/ chainsaw
How much do you plan to use this saw? If a lot you'd be happier if you spent some more money and got a pro saw. My 372xp produces 5.5 hp and weighs 13.8 pounds VS the 391 which produces 4.5 hp and weighs 14.1 pounds.

Not for everyday use, mainly just around the farm cleaning up..

/ chainsaw #8  
Running a homeowner grade saw after you have been using pro saws is almost as bad as using a wheelbarrow after you have had a tractor.

/ chainsaw #9  
Running a homeowner grade saw after you have been using pro saws is almost as bad as using a wheelbarrow after you have had a tractor.

If you know the difference. he would be looking at the bigger pro saw and be buying one. If you do not care run anything and you will not know what your missing. A properly running pro saw will have you smiling. Weight will not matter when the chips are flying.

/ chainsaw #10  
If you know the difference. he would be looking at the bigger pro saw and be buying one. If you do not care run anything and you will not know what your missing. A properly running pro saw will have you smiling. Weight will not matter when the chips are flying.
But my pro saw puts out 20% more power while weighing less.