frost an a pole building?

/ frost an a pole building? #1  

CalG

Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
I put up a small car park a few years ago. Its about 28 X32.
Sinking the holes for the posts in one corner was wet going, and hit ledge about 3 feet down. I thought OK, and set the post on the stone.
But now, as the years pass, It's apparent that that one corner is lifting. I assume by the frost action, based on the wetness. Not too bad, call it 4 inches.

Just to note, The uphill grounds, only two feet from the posts, was dug and a drain pipe installed. of course this ended up being HIGHER than the post footing when ledge was hit. But the drain should carry away most of the surface water.

Should the post be re-sunk and the hole lined with coarse gravel to allow the soil to move with the water laden frost?

Or???

Open to suggestions

/ frost an a pole building? #2  
Look up " techno posts " in google under images. I would ( if possible ) clean the hole out and install one of the techno posts as far below the frost line as you can, re-position your post on top and secure it to the techno post somehow, cover up and it should be good. You can get these at any local hardware store.

/ frost an a pole building? #3  
Skyhook, have you used the techno posts and are they cost effective ?

/ frost an a pole building?
Look up " techno posts " in google under images. I would ( if possible ) clean the hole out and install one of the techno posts as far below the frost line as you can, re-position your post on top and secure it to the techno post somehow, cover up and it should be good. You can get these at any local hardware store.

Well, that solid ledge is going to make getting below frost level a job for a ram hoe. And If I go that way, a PT post down 4 feet seems to work just fine. At least that appears to be the case for the other posts holding up the car park.

I don't feel those techno posts are the solution for this situation. But I had thought to put a split PVC pipe sleeve around the post. Something slippery for the frost to work on.

/ frost an a pole building? #5  
Skyhook, have you used the techno posts and are they cost effective ?

Yes I have, there about $40 bucks or so a piece, the key is to stop the frost from lifting and these post's did the job for me on my front deck. In the past it was just mounted on blocks and the frost would lift my deck, after installing these ( myself ) it would no longer lift. They come in 36" or 48" lengths. I went about 3 1/2 feet down.

/ frost an a pole building? #6  
Well, that solid ledge is going to make getting below frost level a job for a ram hoe. And If I go that way, a PT post down 4 feet seems to work just fine. At least that appears to be the case for the other posts holding up the car park.

I don't feel those techno posts are the solution for this situation. But I had thought to put a split PVC pipe sleeve around the post. Something slippery for the frost to work on.

I hear ya, whatever works for you.....:thumbsup: but if the frost is lifting that stone that your post is on, one way or another, you'll have to break through.

/ frost an a pole building?
I hear ya, whatever works for you.....:thumbsup: but if the frost is lifting that stone that your post is on, one way or another, you'll have to break through.

Nah! That "stone" that the post is sitting on likely spreads at least 50 feet each way but up. Sometimes we call it ledge, but it's just a stone with no edges.

One thing for sure, It does not move with the seasons. ;-) I've got lots of it, if you need some, come and get it!

/ frost an a pole building? #10  
Techno should make a SSQA driver, as well as perhaps a mast-based 3-point unit for a tractor. Would probably make these pilings a lot more reasonable/accessible for people.